I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this post, so please move it if necessary.

I'm a n00b with maemo and the n900 (just bought mine), but I'm a veteran linux user and Qt developer. The Nokia/Qt relationship was the main reason I bought this phone!

Anyhow, I'm fairly frustrated with the contacts organziation on the device. Although I can see all of my google contacts from the phone application, I can only call them by initiating a google voice call.

I have 2 main questions:

1. Is it possible to make a normal phone call to someone in my google contacts list?

2. Is there any way to conglomerate my contacts so that I have one entry per name regardless of the source for the contact.

It's very annoying to have 5 entries for one person:

Santa Claus ( Google voice number for home )
Santa Claus ( Google voice number for mobile )
Santa Claus ( Google voice number for office )
Santa Claus ( Google email contact )
Santa Claus ( Maemo contact )

Perhaps there is a way to import contacts?!?

By the way, I really like idea of Maemo and the N900. Sometimes it's a bit frustrating to getting things to function right, but that's par for the course for a fairly young linux distro...

Keep up the hard work Maemo community!

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
1. Export google contacts from gmail into vcard, copy file to n900, import contacts.
2. Search for "merge duplicate contacts" on threads and in the App manager.

I'm currently working (very slowly) on a way to sync Google contacts phone contacts, but it's still some time away.
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

The Following User Says Thank You to uvatbc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by uvatbc View Post
1. Export google contacts from gmail into vcard, copy file to n900, import contacts.
2. Search for "merge duplicate contacts" on threads and in the App manager.

I'm currently working (very slowly) on a way to sync Google contacts phone contacts, but it's still some time away.
Nuevasync web service and merge contacts app1 or app2.

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
That would be fantastic. I'd actually prefer to keep all of my contacts in googleland rather then keeping them on a SIM or device. I use google voice on more platforms than my n900, so I would preferr to keep my contacts consolidated there.

I guess, then, my main concern is that for each contact from google voice, the different *methods* of contact (home phone, work phone, email, im, etc) all show up as seperate entries!

Originally Posted by slender View Post
Nuevasync web service and merge contacts app1 or app2.
Doesn't Nuevasync use Mail for Exchange? Since the n900 cannot configure multiple MfE accounts, Nuevasync is out of the question.

The Following User Says Thank You to uvatbc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dusktreader View Post
That would be fantastic. I'd actually prefer to keep all of my contacts in googleland rather then keeping them on a SIM or device. I use google voice on more platforms than my n900, so I would preferr to keep my contacts consolidated there.

I guess, then, my main concern is that for each contact from google voice, the different *methods* of contact (home phone, work phone, email, im, etc) all show up as seperate entries!
Totally with you there. Thats why I started with the google sync.
Since you're professed to be a Linux QT hacker, do you want to help?

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Doesn't Nuevasync use Mail for Exchange? Since the n900 cannot configure multiple MfE accounts, Nuevasync is out of the question.
Yep :|

How about syncevolution:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Sync#HTTP_supp...ncevolution.29

I do not know anything about it but was one of search results for this topic.

Last edited by slender; 2010-11-12 at 22:33.

Totally with you there. Thats why I started with the google sync.
Since you're professed to be a Linux QT hacker, do you want to help?
Ahh....so many interesting projects out there!

Sadly, I really have to commit any free time for coding to my Thesis for my Master's Degree. I'm having a hard time budgeting time to finish the code for it, and adding another distraction would be a very bad plan.

Perhaps next summer when I'm done with my degree.....