Active Topics

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Seatle, WA
Hi All,

I am thinking of deleting all the hidden folder in /home/user dir. Before I do it, just wanted to check if any one has done this? What is the potential implication of doing this? Will it create any issues?

The reason I am doing it as there is some settings which is switching to silent profile at 9 am till 5pm. I recall doing this through some apps, I deleted the thing from the app and also the app but it still keeps coming.

TIA

Posts: 313 | Thanked: 247 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ USA
Most likely you've an entry in the system alarm queue which is triggering the switch to silent profile. Read this post on how to get rid of an alarm entry - http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=358

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dsawhney For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Ummm, I would advise against it. Some things store quite a lot of their settings files in there. ALSO, this is where the maps for most map applications that I know of are stored. So if you wipe it, Ovi Maps (if you need it) will have to download its maps again. You may or may not have other map applications, but then you probably know how to get new maps for those.

Most likely, you won't run in TOO many problems... So things might crash on startup, and you may lose some settings data, but a reinstall would PROBABLY fix any app that doesn't work.

*Shrug*

If you do, all the OS-level stuff is safe, as far as I know, so if you feel up to it, go for it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Ummm, I would advise against it. Some things store quite a lot of their settings files in there. ALSO, this is where the maps for most map applications that I know of are stored. So if you wipe it, Ovi Maps (if you need it) will have to download its maps again. You may or may not have other map applications, but then you probably know how to get new maps for those.

Most likely, you won't run in TOO many problems... So things might crash on startup, and you may lose some settings data, but a reinstall would PROBABLY fix any app that doesn't work.

*Shrug*

If you do, all the OS-level stuff is safe, as far as I know, so if you feel up to it, go for it.
thanks would give it a try. only worried about the .mozilla directory. I did this to test first. renamed the user dir to user.old and then created another user dir with same privileges. I rebooted and it worked fine, but am not able to get the MyDocs folder back as it seems it is mounted dir so that is another issue which needs to be figure out.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by mehulrajput View Post
I rebooted and it worked fine, but am not able to get the MyDocs folder back as it seems it is mounted dir so that is another issue which needs to be figure out.
You probably have to:
Code:
mkdir /home/user/MyDocs
so there is a mount point for MyDocs to be mounted.

well I found the main issue that was bogging me down. Refer to this thread if some cronjob is happening regularly which annoys you.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...203#post924203

Posts: 302 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ England
sms and contacts are stored in db's in hidden folders in the /home/user directory. I'm sure other important stuff is in there too.

Don't do eeeet D: (reference for other people who may attempt this)