Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Hi,

As the title says, I am searching for a way to access (read & write) the contacts database using a computer while the N900 is connected to that computer via USB.
The problem is, that the needed directory does not seem to be accessible, the user is restricted to some "special" directories (like photos, movies, ...).

I also thought about a SSH connection but that would require that the owner has a SSH server installed. And the steps to access the database should be easy as possible because I need it for a little application that should sync contacts from my computer and N900 without using the PC-Suite or any sync services.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by _DICE_ View Post
Hi,

As the title says, I am searching for a way to access (read & write) the contacts database using a computer while the N900 is connected to that computer via USB.
The problem is, that the needed directory does not seem to be accessible, the user is restricted to some "special" directories (like photos, movies, ...).

I also thought about a SSH connection but that would require that the owner has a SSH server installed. And the steps to access the database should be easy as possible because I need it for a little application that should sync contacts from my computer and N900 without using the PC-Suite or any sync services.
I'm pretty sure you need to use ssh to that. (of course you could invent your own network protocol if you so desired, but what's wrong with ssh as transport?)

The reason is this; when you export the filesystem by USB, you need to unmount it on the device side while it is exported. Hence, you cannot put things like contact DB's there, or it would be unacessable while device is connected.
(it's seen as smaller evil to have photoes&music unaccessible while connected)

Community Council | Posts: 680 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
Nokia Ovi Suite.. whatever it's called nowadays. :-P

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
(it's seen as smaller evil to have photoes&music unaccessible while connected)
I've found PC Suite mode quite useful for that very reason: the files are accessible from both the PC and the phone. (Sorry for the OT.)

To the OP, you can also use something like WinScp, although that also requires having at least an SSH server installed on your phone.

Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Yes, but only files from MyDocs.

As he likes to fetch /home/user/.osso-abook/db/addressbook.db there is no other chance than ssh or scp.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post: