Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
This is a very strange problem I am having, and I've already thoroughly searched the forum but have come up empty. I've been lurking for a while around the forum, but now I have a very annoying problem.

I have just a regular-booting N810.

I popped in this SanDisk 8GB MicroSDHC with the unit off (using a Micro-to-Mini adapter card). I turn it on, and it says it needs to format the card. I format it, put some maps and stuff on there. I use it regularly for a day. I try and turn it on, and it just hangs on the white Nokia boot screen. I take the battery out to reset it. I take the memory card out and it boots fine! What the heck? The memory card works fine when I slide it into my PC.

I reformatted the card on my PC, and it'll boot occasionally, but then it locked up once under normal use.

Is there any reason why the 8GB MicroSDHC will cause this? Any way to solve?

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
my solution:
1- low level format using PC
A. Download and install the Panasonic SD Memory Card Formatting Software into your Windows computer.http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...formatter.html
B. Use the Panasonic formatter to format the card. Select the options for FULL Erase ON and for Format Size Adjustment OFF. (It doesn't matter if the formatter reports that it can't use the Erase function.) This low-level formatting takes about 10 minutes.
2- if this does not solve the problem, format inside the NIT, using
# sfdisk /dev/mmcblk2
yes

(note: you need root access for this)

hope this helps

Ilia

Thanks for the reply. I will try this and report my results.

There isn't a possibility that the micro-to-mini adapter could be causing the problems, is there? The adapter is from an older regular-microSD card.

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
there might be a problem there, although it is EXTREMELY unprobable.

i'd guess that it's a card problem (according to my reply, you could have already guessed that. If you have either another adapter or another microSDHC card to verify this, it could give you the information you need. If you don't have either, try formatting.

good luck

i am having a similar problem with my sandisk 8gb which i just purchased off of amazon.

i cannot get the n810 to view it- when i run as root sfdisk /dec/mmblk2 i et "Fatal error: cannot find /dec/mmcblk2"
in file manager it does not exist
i do not have a windows machine available to me- my house is mac osx
in disk utility - i received an input/output error
my sandisk 4gb sdhc works perfectly

any other suggestions???

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
It's /dev not /dec.

that was a typo in the post not on the n810

I tried formatting with the Panasonic formatter via a MicroSD-to-USB adapter from Kingston. That did not work. (i.e. I clean-formatted it, put the card in the N810 while powered off, and powered it on. The blue bar at the bottom of the "Nokia" screen goes all the way to the right, but the it just sits there forever. I do not get any "hand shake" picture or sound.)

I'm getting a proper SDHC card reader, but it is also via USB, so I figured there would be no difference. What a pain this is.

Maybe I'll just get a lower-capacity card and keep this 8GB card for a future cell phone or something.

Originally Posted by prk60091 View Post
i am having a similar problem with my sandisk 8gb which i just purchased off of amazon.

i cannot get the n810 to view it- when i run as root sfdisk /dec/mmblk2 i et "Fatal error: cannot find /dec/mmcblk2"
in file manager it does not exist
i do not have a windows machine available to me- my house is mac osx
in disk utility - i received an input/output error
my sandisk 4gb sdhc works perfectly

any other suggestions???
Just a suggestion to reduce typos: post from the tablet, and copy/paste it into the post. I'm assuming that the 2 in mmcblk2 is also a typo; you should have mmcblk0 and mmcblk1, and I'm not sure which is the internal memory on the N810.

You could try
Code:
dmesg
after inserting the card (and closing the door, or whatever they're doing with the N810). That'll get more info. But (if you got the device file right) it looks like the card is bad or severely corrupted.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Boot with the card removed.

Run "apt-get install sysklogd" in terminal.

Reboot with the card inside and when it crashes, take it out and reboot with the card taken out.

Then, do "vi /var/log/syslog.old" and see what was the last thing to happen.