Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Strangest thing, but I can't get a tilda ( ~ ) to type out on my N900. It's not available as a character on the hardware keyboard, but you can get to it through the hardware Symbol key, or on the symbol screen of the soft keyboard.

However, in both cases when you press the tilda nothing happens.

Anyone else see this? I had to copy a tilda from the text of a website and paste it into my text entry action to get it to input at all.

Posts: 547 | Thanked: 1,383 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
I think you have to type another character after the tilde for it to show up, much like on a regular keyboard.

Problem with fMMS? Run in x-terminal: cp /tmp/fmms.log /home/user/MyDocs/
After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900
fAPN - GUI for adding a new GPRS APN
If you like this post, don't be shy to thank me -->

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
If you want a tilda above a character, then hit tilda and then the character (from keyboard). If you want a tilda on its own, then hit tilda then spacebar.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
A regular keyboard will happily type a tilde without requiring another character after it ~

And it looks as though the tilda above a character is reserved for certain characters only. Likely to be congruent with the various languages that use the tilda in that manner.

Originally Posted by jaark View Post
A regular keyboard will happily type a tilde without requiring another character after it ~
But how many regular keyboards can place that tilda above the character? It is a compromise for a mobile device that is going to be used worldwide in many different languages.

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Perhaps I'm not using the correct term for the character, but I'm trying and failing to type:

~

I have no problems typing letters with accentuated tilda's on them (which is entered thorough a different panel of the N900's soft keyboard)

The plain "~" character should be able to be entered by itself just like you could on the N800 and on desktop computers. I need it for web addresses and shell scripting on the N900.

Also that has nothing todo with the keyboard, but with your PCs configuration. Under GNU/Linux so called deadkeys are the default, there is generally also a nodeadkeys layout though. You might be able to set that on the N900 too, but this behavior as such is perfectly normal and fine.

Last edited by Florob; 2009-11-27 at 23:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to Florob For This Useful Post:
I despise deadkeys, I can find no possible use for them. That's always the first thing I configure away when I start with a new computer.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Originally Posted by EIPI View Post
But how many regular keyboards can place that tilda above the character? It is a compromise for a mobile device that is going to be used worldwide in many different languages.
Mostly every keyboard with "dead keys" - like your tilde. Otherwise it would be problematic to type letters like ã, ñ, é, à etc.

So on my normal computerkeyboard I type <~>+<SPACE> for "~" and <~>+<n> for ñ.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to range For This Useful Post: