I've got a really screwed up behaviour of my virtual keyboard and I'm wondering if someone can explain it.

I open Conversation, and go into any conversation I'm having.

I write a load of crap (most of what I write is crap, but when using the onscreen keyboard I press the wrong keys occasionally and thats how I came to notice this bug)
Here's an example Load of crap I've written:

[Open Image] [Hosted by PhotoGalaxy.com]

This simulates my fat fingers being unable to type. Note that I took so long getting the camera out that the phone went to sleep, closing the virtual keyboard and making this text appear in the textbox at the bottom of conversation

I wake the phone, go back to edit mode with the on screen keyboard (OSK) and start highlighting bits to correct the text:

overtype this with the new text:

Make more edits:

delete that trailing junk and type a new word:

I'm happy with the text above so I press V to go back to conversation and send.. and whoa! What's it done? I can see the new stuff i typed, in amongst the old crap I deleted:

Open it again, and it's definitely wrong:

It's almost like there's a buffer of text that is used for compositing and another that is shown on screen and somehow the buffer edits are managed by position and character insertion and edits are performed in the wrong order/go out of sync. In the last pic we can see what I've typed afresh ("king" on "Thinking" and "thing" on the end of the phrase) but it's gone in the wrong place in the buffer. The "Thin" from the start of "Thinking" is gone, leaving the junk I was trying to replace in the wrong place

Has anyone else noticed their OSK written text says the wrong thing, and they are *sure* they typed it right in the edit window but when returning to Conversation it seems screwed up like this?

I struggle to repro this on an empty conversation, but if I pick on one that has started, and then just write a load of stuff using the OSK
(such as just now I wrote "jsut wrute s loaf pf gsrbage and thwn efit it so if id pwrfect"
and then went back using a mix of highlight and replace, and backspace replace, and edited the message so it was perfect in the OSK edit window: "just write a load of garbage and then edit it so it is perfect",
then closed the OSK and the junk that was added to the convo was: "Tust write saloaf podgarbsgeagnd then efit idiso it is pwrfeer") really quickly so that it contains a lot of errors.. then pick back through it removing the errors, I often end up with more junk than I started with after I commit

Let me know if you want a video if me reproducing this, or if there is any other debug info I can provide

Last edited by cjard; 2010-02-22 at 01:38.

I want video, definitely.
Not to mention 770 comes with 2 vitual keyboards,
one in size of the iPhone's and another like yours, never used

So, after lamenting that I have noticed issues using the on screen keyboard on my device, and posting up some screenshots, I got comment that seeing a video might be better so I took some time out to make one.

This came about because I found myself using the OSK to write SMS, but my SMS would occasionally contain weird spelling errors that I was sure I wasnt making; turns out my N900 OSK is nigh on unusable because it is very good at introducing errors into my text.

The video demonstrates perhaps an extreme example; in it I write an SMS quickly, making a lot of mistakes. Nonetheless, the number of mistakes I make shouldnt matter because I always correct the message to be perfect before I close the OSK, and it can be seen that between repeated opening and closings of the OSK the text gets more and more screwed up despite being corrected to be perfect every time

The video is 5 minutes long, if you don't have that much time to watch the entire thing, see from 1:00 to 1:30 and 2:20 to 2:40
These sections demonstrate the problem:
The first time I write something, correct all the errors and close the OSK, the text widget content is perfect (1:00 - 1:30)
Subsequent times edit, even though the message is perfect in the OSK screen, it's screwed up in the text widget, and reopening the OSK screen shows it screwed up. Pause the video at 2:40 and look at the message: in the word "bloading" we can see "load" which should have replaced "ousg" at circa 2:25. Again, at 3:37, I type "layer" (supposed to be "later") that I later edit to "later" but the subsequent edit never makes it to the text widget and the widget contains "later" (I'm not sure where the T went to, probably elsewhere in the message)

It's almost like the phone keeps 2 buffers of text, showing one on screen but transmitting the other into the text widget, and the editing of these two buffers gets out of sync with respect to position

Video link:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SRAIAHP1
AVI XVID NoAudio 20Mb 5:40

The video has been added to a streaming site, dailymotion:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcc...on-screen_tech

If, after watching this video, other users could use the OSK as I have done here: write a load of text with errors, then zip round the message correcting them with a mix of backspace key and highlihgt-replace, close the OSK, check the message, open the OSK again, write some more errored text, correct it..
Tell me; do you also encounter the text getting corrupted on its trip back into the text widget?

Note! I cannot make my phone do this by tapping New SMS and having the text go between the main screen (with lines) - I can only make it happen in something that relies on the BROWSER, such as the URL box, the white box at the bottom of a conversation, text boxes on web pages etc

Last edited by cjard; 2010-02-23 at 20:30.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by cjard View Post
I posted about this over in Talk/Gen but came to realise that it's probably not the best place for it. If a mod could merge the topics keeping this one's title, I'd much apprecite it
It is done.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Think you could post this on a streaming website?

Thanks

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Hi, is this maybe https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7399 which is the same as https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9042 ?
If so, feel free to vote for it (no "me too" comments please as they create bugmail)...

Originally Posted by Konceptz View Post
Think you could post this on a streaming website?
See new link above

Sorry for bringing this thread up but I have this issue and so does a family member with n900.