libnss-mdns libpaper-utils
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  fakedebconf mp-fremantle-002-pr
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  adduser cups cups-common debconf debconf-english defoma ghostscript gsfonts
  libavahi-compat-libdnssd1 libcups2 libcupsimage2 libgs8 liblcms1
  libopenjpeg2 libpam-runtime libpam0g libpaper1 libpoppler5 libslp1
  poppler-utils ucf
0 upgraded, 21 newly installed, 2 to remove and 24 not upgraded.
Need to get 11,6MB of archives.
After this operation, 38,5MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Originally Posted by Mr_K View Post
hi! i can continue without problems?
Code:
Nokia-N900:~# apt-get install cups
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  adduser cups-common debconf debconf-english defoma ghostscript gsfonts
  poppler-utils ucf
Suggested packages:
  cups-bsd cups-driver-gutenprint foomatic-db-engine foomatic-db hplip
  xpdf-korean xpdf-japanese xpdf-chinese-traditional xpdf-chinese-simplified
  cups-pdf debconf-doc debconf-utils whiptail dialog gnome-utils
  libterm-readline-gnu-perl libgnome2-perl libqt-perl libnet-ldap-perl
  defoma-doc psfontmgr x-ttcidfont-conf dfontmgr ghostscript-x hpijs
  liblcms-utils libpam-doc slpd openslp-doc
Recommended packages:
  cups-client smbclient foomatic-filters avahi-utils apt-utils libft-perl
  libnss-mdns libpaper-utils
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  fakedebconf mp-fremantle-002-pr
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  adduser cups cups-common debconf debconf-english defoma ghostscript gsfonts
  poppler-utils ucf
0 upgraded, 21 newly installed, 2 to remove and 24 not upgraded.
Need to get 11,6MB of archives.
After this operation, 38,5MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
A classic!

All the extra 'stuff' it's wanting to install is all the libraries and other supporting bits and pieces which are needed to run CUPS. It's quite a hefty load - I'd think twice before proceeding, but if you really want printing on your N900 then answer "Y".

The Following User Says Thank You to jedi For This Useful Post:
I had a few troubles installing this. Have a look at the last few posts of the thread titled printing with N900, - it gives quite a few tips.

Post again when you get somewhere or if troubles persist...

The Following User Says Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
remove fakedebconf and mp-fremantle-002-pr is good?

I *think* so (no guarantess - I'm not an expert!) - fakedebconf is being replaced by debconf and a quick google indicates mp-fremantle-002-pr isn't required. (I don't have it installed on my N900 if thats any help).

Originally Posted by jedi View Post
a quick google indicates mp-fremantle-002-pr isn't required. (I don't have it installed on my N900 if thats any help).
If there ever is PR1.4, then your system ain't gonna upgrade if you remove mp-fremantle...

Originally Posted by jj0 View Post
If there ever is PR1.4, then your system ain't gonna upgrade if you remove mp-fremantle...
Any ideas why it's being prompted to be removed? And why haven't I got it on my system? - is it because I flashed PR1.3 instead of upgrading?

Incidentally - Mr_K - can I ask why you're installing CUPS? Reading the thread linked above it's not a trivial exercise and I wouldn't recommend doing it unless you're prepared to do a bit of head scratching and swearing. - Just my opinion

Originally Posted by jedi View Post
Any ideas why it's being prompted to be removed?
Because there is a conflict and it's a big problem if you go along and let it remove the pr...
And why haven't I got it on my system? - is it because I flashed PR1.3 instead of upgrading?
After flashing PR1.3 the deb is there... You must've already unistalled it when installing some conflicting stuff...

Have a look at that thread I mentioned, especially pages 22 & 23 where the package in 'testing' is discussed. The OP and pricipal Maemo-CUPS dev, Mase, gave me some tips. If you're not sure about something, specific to the package itself, he (?) would probably respond to that thread.

Re: mp-fremantle-generic-pr: There is no info about this on its package page but from what a power-search reveals, it seems to be a hook for the OS updater to use. However, where core OS updates are concerned, reflashing to new versions should still be possible and back-ups are still required/advised whether OTA or flashed. Is there something I'm missing?
Just has a look through some TMO and bugzilla items for this package. Have a look through bug 11831 to see if that shed any light on the matter. Also, this page should set you at ease.

I have installed the CUPS packages in the Maemo repositories with no notable problems (not running CSSU yet). I have not tested it yet because I need to treat myself to a usb OTG cable. When I do I'll be doing my best to get direct printing from my N900 fully funtional.
- Why? Well, the device is always on so rather than faff around transfering files to another computer, which may need to be started up, why not output directly from the N900 itself, it's not as though it can't be done?

Last edited by demolition; 2011-04-01 at 01:01.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
As said, fakedebconf has been replaced - I'm not an expert but I say trust that. As for "mp-fremantle-002"... are you still on PR1.2? Update your firmware already. That's always better than not updating firmware. The longer you wait there more app updates will end up making their way down to you that in some way depends on PR1.3 packages.

Originally Posted by jj0 View Post
Because there is a conflict and it's a big problem if you go along and let it remove the pr...

After flashing PR1.3 the deb is there... You must've already unistalled it when installing some conflicting stuff...
Wrong. See this quote below?

Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Re: mp-fremantle-generic-pr: ....
The package name changed, as I understand it, between PR1.2 and PR1.3. Also, I wouldn't be too optimistic in the future of a hypothetical PR1.4. Even if it comes, by the time it does so many users will be on CSSU that there will be a rather basic explanation thread for how to put the mp-fremantle-whatever hook packages back in within a day or two.

That said, what I don't like about this is that it SOUNDS like someone is trying to make a forced-upgrade decision for the users with the CUPS thing, by trying to remove the mp-fremantle-002-pr package. Not sure if that would even work, as one would think it'd be better to instead make PR1.3 a dependency, if forced upgrading was your goal... *Shrug*

Now the most important comment, @ demolition: YES. That's exactly my logic. Why, honestly, not print from the N900 when you can? It's infinitely easier, especially if the N900 is already something you use to carry around files, and it cuts out one middle-man whenever you need to print something. Plus it adds to that beautiful bonus of being able to pull out your device and do something that no one would ever think of being doable from a phone.

I just wish someone would make, say, Open/Libre Office ported properly onto the N900, without needing to run it from within a chroot (I'm getting better at compiling, so maybe some day I'll do it, but for now, I'm still unable to compile GIMP to actually run, and in my newb-like guess based on what I read on the project's respective sites, that's easier to do than compiling OpenOffice/LibreOffice). Since as nice as FreOffice is, it doesn't come with easy-to-use printing support, nor all the formatting options one would want on a finalized document.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post: