Active Topics

Posts: 169 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Italia
I had an unusual battery drain recently and yesterday I got my n900 dead in the early afternoon (it was 100% in the morning) without almost using it. After recharging i found the thumnailerd always running, and it continued for 8 hours until this morning!

I also tried to rebuild the database and restart the tracker, without success.

How to know which file is hanging the thumbnailerd?

thank yoy guys.

Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
I'm sure this has come up before - try something like http://www.google.com/search?q=site%...20thumbnailerd

Originally Posted by jedi View Post
I'm sure this has come up before - try something like http://www.google.com/search?q=site%...20thumbnailerd
thanks for the reply, I have deeply searched through the forum before posting, but I could not find any case like mine, apart of this one in which most of the posts are off topic and provide no other solution but disabling the thumbnailerd, not a great solution...

Last edited by cipper; 2011-05-19 at 08:56.

This might give a clue as to the cause:
Originally Posted by albanc View Post
You should find who is asking hildon-thumbnail to work.

You can run dbus-monitor in a console and check who is asking new thumbnails. Check if you find a D-Bus message like this:

method call sender=:1.106 -> dest=org.freedesktop.thumbnailer serial=14 path=/org/freedesktop/thumbnailer/Generic; interface=org.freedesktop.thumbnailer.Generic; member=Queue

If so, you know that ":1.106" is asking the thumbnail. You can find the pid of ":1.106" with the following command:

dbus-send --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.DBus /org/freedesktop/DBus org.freedesktop.DBus.GetConnectionUnixProcessID string::1.106

Maybe there is not a lot of thumbnail requests but only one thumbnail request which is stuck using 100% of CPU? You can check with the command "ls -l /proc/1442/fd" where 1442 is the pid of hildon-thumbnailerd. If the same photo is open for a long time, it may be a problem.

In any case, killing it should not be a problem (except that the thumbnails currently created will fail of course): it is restarted automatically (by D-Bus activation, see /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.freedesktop.thumbnailer.service) when a process request a new thumbnail.
This problem could be caused by a corrupt image, and it's hanging while trying to read it.

Also, have you tried tweaking tracker.cfg ?

The Following User Says Thank You to jedi For This Useful Post:
If it is an image gallery problem it normally shows up in the gallery as a blank thumbnail in the thumbnail browser. I've had it happen where it only shows half of the thumbnail.

Having said that I'm not sure if album art uses thumbnailerd. Would be a little harder tracking it down then.

The Following User Says Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jedi View Post
This might give a clue as to the cause:
thank you, very instructive

Also, have you tried tweaking tracker.cfg ?
yes, I had disabled battery index but not initial battery indexing. It is possible to completely disable watching and indexing only when needed (when I open the image viewer)?

Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
If it is an image gallery problem it normally shows up in the gallery as a blank thumbnail in the thumbnail browser. I've had it happen where it only shows half of the thumbnail.
in fact I have noticed a black thumbnail of a photo I have shot yesterday, but the image viewer opened it correctly so I wasn't sure about that. But maybe the thumbnailerd uses a different engine with respect to the viewer. I deleted that image and up to now all seems fine. Anyway this thumbnailerd is really annoying...

The Following User Says Thank You to cipper For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cipper View Post
thank you, very instructive
That was from the first page of Google results.......!
So what was the result? Have you found the source of the problem?

yes, I had disabled battery index but not initial battery indexing. It is possible to completely disable watching and indexing only when needed (when I open the image viewer)?
AFAIK it's not possible without additional scripting etc.
I'd re-check your tracker.cfg to make sure it's not causing the problem.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
I'd get tracker cfg and add / as exclusion. That should let it finish. After that, if it works, remove indexing folders and re-add one by one.

Alternately, move all media files to PC and move them back in batches. I'm quite sure you have a corrupted, incompatible, too large or just plain odd media.

Could be a video or something.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

in fact I have noticed a black thumbnail of a photo I have shot yesterday, but the image viewer opened it correctly so I wasn't sure about that. But maybe the thumbnailerd uses a different engine with respect to the viewer. I deleted that image and up to now all seems fine. Anyway this thumbnailerd is really annoying...
If you can open the image OK, try going through the motions of editing it and select "Save as". It will then rename it to something like "Imagename(1).jpg".
You should then be able to delete the original image and having a new image may wake thumbnailerd up and get it to complete the operation.