Active Topics

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Wisconsin USA
I've been seeing discharge of my N800's battery overnight, even when it's in offline mode and the touch screen and keys are locked. I have the latest OS installed, as well as the mcc-kernel-4.2007.26.bin modified kernel. Any thoughts? Is it possible that having virtual memory setup up on the internal SD card increases battery drain?

Last edited by joelong; 2007-08-07 at 19:09.

for the last 7 days I have had the same problem. after 6 months of great battery life, this just started happening!

I am also at the latest OS.

I have tried changing the connections to never search for a new connection, turned off all auto updates of email, rss, etc.

today I added an alarm to the clock and later deleted it. (maybe it is the ghost alarm issue?)

tomorrow I will know if it is fixed!

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Them thar hills
So, Alvin was that it?

Mine did this earlier this week, but I had a Python application that was stuck running as a process but had no window anymore. I've seen this happen more than once. I've also noticed it doesn't close out any SSH connections I have open when I tell it to go offline. These tasks might still be trying to run in the background, eating up precious CPU and battery.

mine is basically bone stock, i have installed no applications, and performed no backup.

it will not last 24 hours on a charge anymore. something is memory leaking or stuck process in the latest firmware.

Not fixed

Today, I noticed that the rss applet was set to update every 4 hours. I disabled it and will test tonight...

My battery is definitely not lasting as long as it once did, either, but I have attributed this to natural wear of the battery and my poor charging habits. I have "noticed" less battery life since upgrading to the latest firmware, but didn't exactly time it with my watch...so it might just be my cantankerous nature looking for something to grumble about.

One observation I have is that running Maemo Process Viewer or just plain old PS I tend to notice a lot of instances of processes with the same name and some of em gobble up quite a lot of memory. By default, just booting up my tablet I am running with about 4 MB free memory (with 0 swap use).

Here is a list of processes which have multiple entries in MPV:

pdflush
dsme
dbus-daemon
ke-recv
maemo-launcher
mediaplayer-eng
metalayer-crawl
dbus-vfs-daemon
osso-media-serv

A few of these I know the function of, but for the most part I am clueless. Anyone care to educate me as to whether having multiple copies of these running is normal? What sort of free mem use do you have on a clean boot?

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ here and there
Did anyone use this command to browse as root in file manager?

cd /home/user/MyDocs
ln -s / System

Cause I did and I had the same problem.

it is morning. I still have 4 bars!! The tooltip says 8 days idle and 5 hours in use!

Somehow it is all back to normal

The last thing I did was to turn on the RSS applet, disable its 4 hour update and then disable the applet again.

Hmm. yesterday, I also removed my 2 SanDisc 2GB SD cards. one of these was previously corrupted and only had half of the space showing. I wonder if the battery died trying to read the bad SD card? (The only SD card I have now installed is the Nokia 128MB mini that came with the unit.

(I also bought a new router yesterday as the old one was losing connection too frequently but this is unrelated I think)

I hope this is fixed for good now! I guess I have to try putting in the SD cards again...

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by RioT View Post
Did anyone use this command to browse as root in file manager?

cd /home/user/MyDocs
ln -s / System

Cause I did and I had the same problem.
Are you insane?

Metacrawler will end up in an infinite loop by doing that. Welcome to battery drain city. It's also completely ******ed and shows that the absolute last thing you should be doing is fooling around as root unless you enjoy reflashing or bricks.

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Them thar hills
Yesterday, my battery lasted around 14 hours with moderate use and wireless + bluetooth on.

Last night as a test, with a full battery, I clicked power + Turn off. I then turned it back on, made sure it was in "offline" mode and locked the screen. This would ensure that nothing I had started running would interfere.

It was stone cold dead when I woke up 8 hours later.

What the heck?

I haven't used the RSS reader, so it has nothing to update on mine.

I have noticed sometimes I'll have it sitting on my desk and suddenly the screen comes on for no reason. Typically I've had the wireless active when that happens, so I attributed it to that.