Active Topics

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 179 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Gold Coast, Australia
I love the sleek device but is it just me or is it quite boring compared to the N900, When the N900 was released we had devs just going bam bam bam tweaks and apps coming all over the place.

N9 doesnt seem to be getting much attention, kind of sad but do you all think it will pick up eventually or soon...

Wish i still had my N900 miss it so much.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I think it's just the other way round. When the N900 was released there were hardly any apps and hardly developers developing for it. With the N9 the situation is a lot better IMHO (esp. with about 1000 N9 given to developers for free, compared to about 300 N900 back then).

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
I agree, n900 is much more fun device for a hacker/geek, n9 doesn't offer anything except more ram, which would be nice for metasploit sometimes and heavy multitasking, but is not that much advantage when compared to stuff n900 offers, and would be pretty much useless for anything else except those two thing mentioned above

I wish that I could upgrade my n900 to 512MB ram, but would never change it for n9

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrimyHR For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
It'll pick up. Things were a little slow the first few months after N900 came out.

boring because of that damned aegis

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to youmeego For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
It'll pick up. Things were a little slow the first few months after N900 came out.
so if i buy a n9 i can expect for a HW keyboard to apear on it after a few months?

The only thing I agree is the N9 on my hands right now is indeed boring compared to my N900 sitting on my table right now... But I have faith things will pick up. I Believe there are more developers at the N9 launch compared to the N900 launch. As an example look how long it took us to get packet injection now we full GUIs for wep cracking... Patience my friends, Aegis will be taken down.

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
I loved my N900, and even whilst I still have it next to me, I know it just can't compare with the N9.

I do miss the double battery mod. The hardware keyboard. But other than battery life, I feel the N9 is a more than suitable replacement. Once Aegis has been removed, the true mods will begin.

Already we have work on creating a new homescreen, customisable like the N900's: http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=5410

We have mods growing at a daily rate. See my site, www.everythingN9.com for mods for it. Other mods are here on TMO and meego handset forums.

If you ignore the Love Messages apps in the Store, there are already quite a few quality apps for the N9. And if you do buy Love Messages, I will personally roundhouse kick you.

Cordia HD is waiting for some bugs to be resolved with the Mer core, and then we may have Hildon back on the N9.

All a matter of time

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Storm_11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 179 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Gold Coast, Australia
I couldnt care less about apps i just love tge tweaking and hacking. Lets hope we see a good 6 months

Posts: 560 | Thanked: 423 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Switzerland
Things that slow down is Aegis, bugs in QML and missing API as well as documentations and examples.

I.E. for my app (SleepAnalyser) I would need to be able to set an alarm (like in clock app), how ever up to now nobody was able to show how this is possible!
Also the main menu is not customisable. Like on the N900, there would be a lot of potential if Nokia would open it more.

As for Aegis, it might be something usefull, but for developers its just very annoying.
Yesterday I wanted to modify my app a bit for testing. After a reboot, Aegis hinder me to start. The only way was 8once again) to flash and reinstall everything
=> I really miss a tool like backupmenu.

Last but not least, I never would want to have a device without keyboard. The N950 is cool, but I wouldnt buy a N9 due lack of HW keyboard and many missing apps.
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

The Following User Says Thank You to caco3 For This Useful Post: