Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
Hey TMO members and talksters...

I've been facing a weird problem, my PC Specs are here:

2B PW233 PSU 500W
Intel Core 2 Duo E7500
GIGABYTE Radeon HD 5770 1GB
Biostar G31 M7 TE

Problem:
Everything was working greatly until I switched on my PC that day, and it wouldn't boot. I thought that my past PSU unit (Digital (R) 450W) was faulty, so I changed it to a newer one (2B PW233 PSU 500W), but that did no good even. When my graphics card is only plugged in the PCIe slot, the computer boots fine and everything works normally, except the display which won't show, because the GPU is disconnected. When I connect the video card with the 6 pin power connector, then push the power button, the PC won't boot at all, and the PC fans rotate a very very very little degree and then stop a.k.a instantly stop, and the green light above the power button flashes green.

\Can somebody shed some light over my situation? I bought this card at a rather high price and I hope it isn't bricked.

What's the manufacturer of the PSU, and what you got on the +12v rail?

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
can you beg or borrow a larger capacity power supply to try, as it sounds like either one of the voltage rails is faulty or when everything is plugged in it is over capacity, and shutting down.

Have you checked ALL the fans are working including the PSU one? I had a faulty PSU fan that would stop randomly after a few seconds, and the PSU would sense that and just shutdown completely. It was only when I had everything stripped that I noticed the shutdown was immediately after the fan stopping. Swapped the fan with a case fan and all was then fine.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
2betech.com
It is a very exotic PSU unit. I made sure of that before I bought it.

Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
can you beg or borrow a larger capacity power supply to try, as it sounds like either one of the voltage rails is faulty or when everything is plugged in it is over capacity, and shutting down.

Have you checked ALL the fans are working including the PSU one? I had a faulty PSU fan that would stop randomly after a few seconds, and the PSU would sense that and just shutdown completely. It was only when I had everything stripped that I noticed the shutdown was immediately after the fan stopping. Swapped the fan with a case fan and all was then fine.
Well, I had a 450W PSU before my current one and it worked beautifully. The problem just popped up one day... I also thought that the probelm was from the old 450W PSU, but even my new PSU didn't solve anything. What happens is that, when my 5770 GPU is plugged in the PCIe slot without the 6-pin connector plugged in the card, everything boots up, all fans work including the GPU's fan. BUT when I plug the 6pin connector to the card, then push the power button, all the fans spin like a 3 degrees spin and then stop, with the led of the power button flashing green on and off... any thoughts?

Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
Hmmm... I'm not that intelligent in specific wiring, could you further elaborate what would the 12v rail would be? I understand that my GPU should have a stable supply of a 12v current so if what your referring to is the cable supplying my GPU with power, then it is a separate 6pin connector erecting directly from the PSU.

Bummer.
I've been told that the GPU may be causing a short, any ideas?

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ a spot
Oh god...
Is it bye-bye to your beloved 5770?
I may say yes.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
re-set the bios and see it if will fire up.

Speaking from experience, really.

After blowing 2 series 7 nVidia cards and 2 PSUs (one 500w and one 600w) I learned a lot about PSUs.
The wattage doesn't give a true reflection on how well it will perform.
The Crucial 600w PSU I blew was putting out 22Amps on the +12v rail (there should be a label on the PSU with a table showing all the ratings).
I now have a 500w that's putting out 35Amps on the +12v rail and I've never had any more problems.

Some good reading here: http://compreviews.about.com/od/cases/a/PSUWattage.htm.