Active Topics

I've just installed some webos games so I thought about playing them on my laptop screen. I searched for a way to have the n900 screen shown on my laptop and came up with x11vnc+vnc viewer, but it is too slow (I thought because the devices are connected via wlan).

So my question is: How can I get the n900 screen shown up on my laptop via the usb cable? I found some instructions in the wiki: http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_USB_networking but it's pretty confusing and I can't see any part that mentions about the "screen-shown-up" thing.
Can anyone help me or at least tell me what part to follow?

Edit: I have the app QtMobileHotspot. Maybe it is useful somehow?

Edit 2: Found the way to set up usb networking in Ubuntu. But the playback is nowhere near expected. Guess it's vnc limit.

Last edited by LightRain; 2011-10-20 at 14:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to LightRain For This Useful Post:
Good question, im also interested in any suggestions^^

OT: I think mobile hotspot i not usefull, its used to create a wireless network, not to transfer the screens

i guess we should buy a notebook with RGB ports, or put the n900 on the tv via TVOUT and transfer the tv screen to the laptop using HDMI xD

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tim_de_wolf For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tim_de_wolf View Post
i guess we should buy a notebook with RGB ports, or put the n900 on the tv via TVOUT and transfer the tv screen to the laptop using HDMI xD
What input ports does your laptop have? Often they can be used as screens for another computer. The N900 obviously has video-out on the 3.5mm jack so you need a cable with 3.5mm on one end and probably a d-sub monitor plug on the other or s-video. I'm not giving you any links in case they don't work for you but look up VGA to d-sub or VGA to s-video.

Don't buy "composite to VGA" cables, it won't work. Composite and standard monitor VGA cable connection are two totally different standards, and You need converter (containing electronic circuit, not just cable crossing) to connect composite into analog monitor input. Something like that:

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm...olesalers.html

(AFAIK this is cheapest model available).

Also, trans-coding N900 composite video output to HDMI or whatsnot is pointless. The best You can achieve (using PAL) is still worse in terms of resolution, than N900 native screen. Unfortunately, blame Nokians for lack of HDMI out.

Still, video out is *very* useful, when connecting N900 to LCD TV's + using mouse and keyboard (HEN, or bluetooth). With addition of VNC or rDesktop (the latter for winboxes) You essentially have full-fledged desktop PC power in Your pocket. But, even without fast internet connection, Easy Debian is also powerful desktop PC experience, in tandem with big "monitor", mouse and keyboard.

BTW, if You're connecting VNC via (w)lan, You can tweak x11vnc (on N900) settings, to make it much more responsive.
Just read documentation for that - with correct setting, it's almost real-time (for sake of testing, I used Tux Racer on N900 via VNC - it was playable, "almost").

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Almost all TVs have composite input, so for TVs it's not a problem.

Problem here is the laptop. Not many laptop has an input port. On my laptop I can see a HDMI port and a VGA port, but both are output ports, so they're useless anyway. The only option left for me is the usb port, but I don't know if it works or not.

And about x11vnc, could you please share your settings?

Last edited by LightRain; 2011-10-22 at 00:14.

As for x11vnc, You don't need any config file, except '/home/user/.vnc/passwd', if You want to use password (just for VNC, not related or colliding with SSH password/public key/whatever). The rest is correct set of commands, when starting x11vnc:

x11vnc -ncache 12 -ncache_cr -wait 1 -defer 1

(I also use -localhost -passwd and -forever, because I'm connecting through ssh tunnel, want to use password set in config file mentioned before, and I want x11 to stay on even when vnc client disconnect)

Be warned, though - such set of options will eat Your bandwidth, and use one hell of RAM on both client (this is of less importance, considering client is a notebook) and N900 itself (more important - ho ever, I was still able to multitask much more than anyone will ever need in life, without any glitches). so, it's definitely for (W)LAN situations. also, don't expect it to allow You enjoy *comfortably* gameplay of anything demanding 100% real time - example with TuxRacer was rather proof-of-concept, not something I would like to do everyday. Ho ever, I'm using reverse configuration (N900 connecting as client to VNC on desktop) to play Heroes of Might and Magic 3 with my family, during some long travels - and it's 100% playable/comfortable.

Side note - ncache settings of x11vnc enable special mode, where client actually caches graphical objects. While it's not standard thing for VNC specification, it was made in such a way that 99.99% of VNC clients will support this - although many will show it as screen with multiplied height, with normal view occupying upper part, and cached graphic on the rest. It's normal, just resize Your VNC client window in such a way, that You'' only see relevant part.

Due to nature of this caching process, first load of some screens may be slower than next ones - basically, client recognize repeating parts of view, and instead of pulling everything through net, it load it from local cache. theory may sound little complicated, but it works great in practice - sometimes, it don't feel like remote desktop at all (although, don't expect such feeling in 3D fast-action game...)

/Estel

Ps.

As far as I remember, using x11vnc through Easy Debian (of course, Debian package, not Maemo one), You can set virtual X view with different resolution (for example, native resolution of Your desktop). Not much use for it AFAIK, but still very geeky to watch N900 Easy Debian in native 1680x1050, on 22'' screen
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: