Active Topics

I've been trying to get my N900 to tether to my Mac (Snow Leopard).

My mobile carrier is Three UK.

I've followed these instructions:

http://thenokiablog.com/2010/01/01/h...via-bluetooth/

I'm using three.co.uk as the APN

It's all fine until I try and connect, then it gets to "authenticating" and then fails. I get this error message:

"A connection could not be established to the PPP server"

Can anyone help? I'm sure I had this wprking before... maybe it was before I upgraded to Snow Leopard. I've trued doing it via USB but the same thing happens.

Any help gratefully received as I've just moved house and don't have a proper broadband connection yet!

...anyone?

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
May be you could try using Bluetooth PAN instead of DUN?

Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
May be you could try using Bluetooth PAN instead of DUN?
Thanks, but the installation process looks a bit complicated for me...

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Birmingham
Originally Posted by col37400 View Post
I've been trying to get my N900 to tether to my Mac (Snow Leopard).

My mobile carrier is Three UK.

I've followed these instructions:

http://thenokiablog.com/2010/01/01/h...via-bluetooth/
Any reason why you are tethering instead of hotspot?

Originally Posted by davedickson View Post
Any reason why you are tethering instead of hotspot?
I tried installing "mobile hotspot" but it doesn't work. Apparently it needs the power kernel installed and I can't get that to install.

I tried installing "mobile hotspot" but it doesn't work. Apparently it needs the power kernel installed and I can't get that to install.
Well I ask because, tethering will cost you, well unless you have a package with your provider. I have used the mobile hotspot app from extras and it doesn't cost me anything, and it works really well!

I don't know much about the tethering aspect, but I will try and help, but if I was you (and didn't have a data tethering package), I would get the hotspot working instead, because it will save you money and headaches

The install of the power kernel (any of them) is easy and so is the install of the app, what way do you want to go: fix getting the kernel/app working or stick with tethering? I'll try and help with either.

I have recently moved, and the hotspot saved me until the sky guys installed my broadband so I feel your pain

The Following User Says Thank You to davedickson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by davedickson View Post
Well I ask because, tethering will cost you, well unless you have a package with your provider. I have used the mobile hotspot app from extras and it doesn't cost me anything, and it works really well!

I don't know much about the tethering aspect, but I will try and help, but if I was you (and didn't have a data tethering package), I would get the hotspot working instead, because it will save you money and headaches

The install of the power kernel (any of them) is easy and so is the install of the app, what way do you want to go: fix getting the kernel/app working or stick with tethering? I'll try and help with either.

I have recently moved, and the hotspot saved me until the sky guys installed my broadband so I feel your pain
Thanks for your response.

Maybe I've misunderstood how the hotspot thing works... I'd assumed that it would still use my mobile data connection, just like with tethering, so I would still be paying for the data I used?

If the hotspot somehow allows me free access then that's the option I'd like to go with!

I have had the power kernel installed in the past, but a while ago I had to reflash my phone because of all sorts of problems I was having with conflicts between it and Fcam. I've actually asked on this thread about where to get the currently most stable version of power kernel.

It seems that the one I want is v46 but I can't see it in the repositories and all the other versions that are there are for some reason uninstallable (conflicting packages) for me.

Looks like I have to go back and read several pages of that thread to work out what I have to do but if you can give me a quick answer here that would be massively appreciated!

Thanks for your response.

Maybe I've misunderstood how the hotspot thing works... I'd assumed that it would still use my mobile data connection, just like with tethering, so I would still be paying for the data I used?

If the hotspot somehow allows me free access then that's the option I'd like to go with!

Well it still uses the 3/3.5G to connect so it is still using your data connection to the provider, but for me, it doesn't show up on my bill. Now I have T-mobile web 'n' walk 35, which gives me unlimited internet access. However the 'tethering' is a seperate package which I can buy as a bolt on. I haven't tried tethering but from the fact that I had to buy another bolt on I guess it will charge if I use it. Maybe it doesn't I'm not sure, as I said I don't know much about the tethering aspect side of things. But I know for sure, for me, that the hotspot has never charged me.

I think I read somewhere that the provider can tell if it is tethered, maybe they can't with the hotspot, I don't know for sure, I guess someone else could answer that, for us both.

What provider package etc do you have, I don't want to suggest something, and then you end up paying for it! lol

I have had the power kernel installed in the past, but a while ago I had to reflash my phone because of all sorts of problems I was having with conflicts between it and Fcam. I've actually asked on this thread about where to get the currently most stable version of power kernel.

It seems that the one I want is v46 but I can't see it in the repositories and all the other versions that are there are for some reason uninstallable (conflicting packages) for me.

Looks like I have to go back and read several pages of that thread to work out what I have to do but if you can give me a quick answer here that would be massively appreciated!
I had the same issues, but I now no longer use Fcam, I think I just re-flashed and made sure the power-kernel was the first thing I installed. I then went back and re-installed all my apps from the backup list.

Actually the last time I did it, I had to install it from the command line because of some conflict with PR1.3. Things like this, I would search around a bit, and see if there are any other issues like that, maybe do a fresh install of PR1.3, then update the kernel from the command line, then install the hotspot, then fcam stuff.

Sorry to be a bit vague, I know its a pain but seem to remember having issues after PR1.3 and having to do this myself. Hope that helps.

EDIT: oh yeah and the tethering package was WAY more expensive then the "unlimited internet" bundle, so if you are paying for data connection the hotspot may cost you less than the tethering, but as I said that only me, and my provider.

Last edited by davedickson; 2011-05-13 at 11:13.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davedickson For This Useful Post:
Ah OK, I have an 2gb data allowance, I've tethered before and they don't seem to notice, other than sending me a text if I get near my allowance but that happens if I use a lot of data on the phone itself anyway. So I don't think tethering/hotspot would be any different for me cost-wise.

Reflashing the phone is a bit of a pain just to get one application working. Maybe I will have to do that, although I'll see if I can gain anything from the other thread.

I think I'm losing the faith with the N900/maemo now... everything is so much hassle. It was OK at the beginning because it could do stuff other phones couldn't, but now, I just feel like going for Android where all these things are just easy.