Need help. My battery is only lasting for 12 hours in standby with wireless turned off. Is this normal? Any suggestions? I notice on the spec sheet it states 5-10 days in standby. This seems like a dream based on my current issue.

I get > 5 days with wireless and bluetooth on.

One of your applications may be spinning the CPU. If you don't see anything suspicious with 'top', I recommend reflashing the device to its original state. If you still get only 12 hours, contact Nokia for repairs.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by tmilr87 View Post
Need help. My battery is only lasting for 12 hours in standby with wireless turned off. Is this normal? Any suggestions? I notice on the spec sheet it states 5-10 days in standby. This seems like a dream based on my current issue.
I recently completed a rundown test on an N800/OS2008 with WiFi disabled and the device completely idle - it lasted 12 days 2 hours before the low battery warning sounded.

Now testing with WiFi enabled...

If you're only getting 12 hours you either have a defective battery, or you have installed an application which is not allowing the CPU to go to sleep - what apps have you installed on your device?

Tip: Don't leave the browser open if Javascript is active on a web page - the browser can chew through 40-50% CPU even when the browser is "minimised" as the Javascript runs constantly. Always close the browser, or return to a homepage which doesn't have active javascript, when you are finished browsing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Wow 12 days!

I am not impressed by the battery (even if it IS impressive), but I am impressed by you!
By the fact that YOU lasted 12 days and 2 hours without the tablet

Originally Posted by anidel View Post
Wow 12 days!

I am not impressed by the battery (even if it IS impressive), but I am impressed by you!
By the fact that YOU lasted 12 days and 2 hours without the tablet
I have a 770 - and now a N810 as well!

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
eheh I was going to bet you had another one.. but I thought about an N800, not a 770.. that's slow.. cool, but slow.

Thanks for the info. I have multiple programs installed. Camera, Recorder, Media Streamer, Doom, Xgalga, video center, Vagalume and Kagu media player. Could one of these be running in the background even when application is closed? Note: I also have uninstalled canola and Umpc in the past week after I tried them out.

Originally Posted by tmilr87 View Post
Thanks for the info. I have multiple programs installed. Camera, Recorder, Media Streamer, Doom, Xgalga, video center, Vagalume and Kagu media player. Could one of these be running in the background even when application is closed? Note: I also have uninstalled canola and Umpc in the past week after I tried them out.
Quite possibly... it's hard to say which is causing the problem unless you can spot the process running, or you measure battery lifetime after each app is installed and proceed with installation of the next application only when you are sure your battery lifetime hasn't been negatively impacted by the most recent application to be installed.

What about using one of the tools mentioned in this thread?

Posts: 106 | Thanked: 90 times | Joined on May 2009 @ England
I don't know much about this kind of thing, so I'm hoping that someone will be able to help me out!

I have a Nokia N810 and have have it for about a year and a half. It's always been a little dodgy on the battery life, but lately it's been a lot worse! I take it off charge at 9am, turn it onto offline mode, close all applications, and don't use it the whole day, but by 7pm, it's dead... No battery power at all! And I haven't even used it!!

If I do use it, I can get about an hour out of it before it dies, if I try with the wireless it lasts about 30 minutes...

I just can't use it like this! I miss my little Nokia lasting the whole day long!!

I've tried a whole bunch of things to fix it... First off I figured it would be the battery, so a forked out and bought a new one. It increase the power by only a handful of precious minutes. After that didn't work, I reflashed it, and now have nothing installed on it besides what it came with, and it still doesn't last any longer.

On top of that, for some strange spooky reason, the clock mysteriously gains 2 hours every day The other night I was working hard (with it plugged it obviously) thinking it was 11pm... Turned out it was 1am! No wonder I was so sleepy!

But I'm getting a little off topic!

If anyone has any ideas about what could be causing this problem, then please let me know!! I'm getting a little sick of following it round the house with the power adaptor, just in case!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by Stupid Little Genius; 2009-05-11 at 10:51.