Hi, well when i am browsing on my beloved n900 and i want to switch between different apps i have to keep switching between full screen mode and non full screen mode in browser. Now as our joy and pride n900 can so beautifully multitask and i run various apps in background. The problem is there isnt a backspace onscreen button in full screen mode so i use the camera button as back button which is handy but there isnt any way that i can keep using browser in full screen mode and use camera button as back button and switch to desktop and when i click on to browser tab the browser tab goes to fullscreen. So i thought if someone can create a new tab in the power button menu for desktop that would solve the problem as its accessible all the time and whenever any one no matter what app, game, browser they are using they can press the power button and go straight to desktop specially in certain games, videos, browser, etc

Unfortunately i am a noob and i have no idea how to do this as i have never done such a thing in my life but i love using my n900 so please developers can you make this into reality and make me and many other n900 users love this amazing device even more!

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
There is one of two things you can do:

1) map long press of the camera button to the task switcher (i use this - it works quite well)

2) press ctrl+backspace to launch the task switcher

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
You know you can use the Ctrl+Backspace combo to go to the task switcher, right? I could've sworn there's also a go to menu, go to task switcher, and go to desktop option in ShortcutD (Which is what I presume you're using for your camera key shortcut). (I just tested going to the menu with browser in full screen with the menu option for shoft half press of camera key in shortcutd, and it kept the browser in fullscreen mode when I went back to it.)

Also, I actually can think of a way to use a dbus command in a power menu button to do what you want, and would be happy to help you set it up, but it only works if you have Matan's desktop mods (basically, if you have a modified hildon desktop package, like anything that allows for 9 desktops etc, including the one in the CSSU, it'll work. But if you're using the stock desktop, it won't).

Alternatively, I know there should be a way to do it without a modified hildon desktop, but I'd have to look at the source code of Shurtcutd, and possibly get you to manually install xdotool in order for it to be doable from the commandline (depending on how shortcutd does it).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Hi guys thanks for the replies. i am already using short camera press as backspace for browser and long press as rotating the screen! And i would rather not open and close keyboard everytime i want to go back a page thats why i am using short press camera button for that. Also when browsing in fullscreen in portrait it doesnt show the status bar to swap between the apps. Especially when you have multiple browser windows open to switch between them. so if i can press power button which would give me desktop tab as an option so i can easily switch between the different running apps in portrait and full web browser plus when i do this i dont have to keep switching full screen non full screen or keep open closing keyboard to press ctrl backspace!

I have installed the CSSU on my n900 but i dont think i have matan's desktop installed. if the only way for me to have this feature enabled is through having matan's desktop installed i will install matan's desktop. how do i install matans desktop and what are the benefits or changes in matans desktop?

If you have the CSSU installed, you already have Matan's desktop. The desktop package in the CSSU already includes all the mods Matan's desktop gives you. (But it doesn't turn the outwardly visible ones on by default, unlike Matan's original packages may have, so most people installing the CSSU don't notice it, and, well, don't bother reading the thread/wiki enough to realize it.)

The mod that you need for what you are asking for should already work if you have the CSSU installed. (Also, you probably won't need the rotation on/off in shortcutd for long, because the CSSU keeps making portrait mode support more universal, but whatever.)

Anyway, since you have the CSSU installed, try this real quick, and if it works, I can help you get the power menu button you want. Run these in X-Term, NOT as root, but as the normal user:

This should take you to the desktop:
Code:
dbus-send --type=signal --session /com/nokia/hildon_desktop com.nokia.hildon_desktop.set_state int32:1
This should take you to the task switcher:
Code:
dbus-send --type=signal --session /com/nokia/hildon_desktop com.nokia.hildon_desktop.set_state int32:64
This should take you to the menu/launcher:
Code:
dbus-send --type=signal --session /com/nokia/hildon_desktop com.nokia.hildon_desktop.set_state int32:128
If that works, it's just a matter of adding the code you want to a button entry in /etc/systemui/systemui.xml

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2011-02-22 at 21:08. Reason: Fixed code tags

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Thanks Mentalist for them codes i tried them code and they all seems to work perfectly fine! Now unfortunately as i am a noob how do i do the last bitwhich is adding the button to my power button menu?

Hi, I'll answer later today (maybe tomorrow), I don't have much time right now. If someone else chips in in the meantime though to get romilio on his way with setting this up that would be great.

Thanks again mentalist i can understand you must be busy with alot of other things so there is no rush really please take your time and whenever its possible for you just make me a step by step guide so i can do that i really appreciate all your replies and all your help!

Can anyone else help me create an extra tab in the power button menu? Mentalist has given the solution to my problem in reply number 5 but as i'm a noob i dont know how to create this button or what software to use to do this can someone please help me to do this in very simple terms.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to figaro For This Useful Post: