Active Topics

So I just read this rather depressing analysis of Nokia's prospects for the next year - working at getting prices for it's Windows phones down, competition in bread and butter emerging economies markets etc.- and I wondered if they couldn't just throw a slightly faster Cortex in the N900 and rerelease it? I'm totally happy with it still. Maybe get some kind of partnership with Ubuntu's app store if they're worried about developers fleeing OVI. (If they're still allowed to use Debian under Elop's stewardship, that is.)

For the time being, I'm holding off on getting something like the the Droid4 (though I'm tempted each time the N900's NVRAM needs to be reflashed, upgrade that as well pls Nokia?) as I'm still not quite ready to muck around with non-tactile keyboards. The N900 remains my favourite infopad because it's an actual portable Linux box, and I'm not quite sure if that's the case with Android - anyone want to comment on how secure the JVM layer is on Android, for instance? Also, it basically just throws up an obstacle to compiling things from the desktop from what I understand and I'm not a big fan of artificial markets.

I've always been able to count on Nokia for good phones in the past (I remember when they had iconized interfaces while Motorola was still using 8-segment LEDs) but I can't go back to Windows, which is apparently still in the process of ceding the desktop market to OSX.

So maybe it's a pipedream - I have some interest in upgrading my N900 - but Nokia could probably do worse than to diversify their global product by sliding its N series back into one of these wedge market pricing tiers.