Active Topics

Hi all,

I have a 16gb Nokia N9 (pr1.3) and use a pre-paid (no contract) plan on the T-mobile network in the US. I recently downloaded the SpotOn app to enable wifi tethering and cannot seem to get my Surface RT to find it, though an office full of iphones/ipads are able to find it almost immediately.

I tried selecting "hidden network" and entering the network ID I created, but it then asked me for a password, which I had NOT created (i used no security at first because I wanted to test it out).

I looked around a bit and found recommendations to avoid using spaces or special characters in the name of the hotspot I am trying to create, but that does not seem to have helped.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Does SpotOn create an ad-hoc connection? I can't say I'm intimately familiar, I just used a tweak to enable wi-fi tethering and that's an ad-hoc tether.

As it stands, are you even able to connect to any other ad-hoc wi-fi only access points via Win8 RT? It may be as limited as Google Android Jelly Bean in that one regard.

Quick research shows me that Win8 RT uses SoftAP, not true ad-hoc access when creating ad-hoc on the device to share access to other machines. But in this case, I wonder if that affects what it can see.

Odd.

Update: Found this: http://superuser.com/questions/49806...ad-hoc-network

Seems like Windows 8 (x86) and Windows 8 RT cannot connect to ad-hoc indeed. There's a few workarounds - this is the reverse of what you want, but it shows some commands that might help you: http://www.addictivetips.com/windows...-in-windows-8/

Weird. Why are more and more modern OS's removing ad-hoc support and only doing infrastructure connectivity.

Last edited by gerbick; 2013-01-09 at 01:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Odd, I could have sworn I wrote a reply to you. Sorry for the delay and thanks for the response!

I was not able to get my n9 hotspot seen by my Nexus 7, either. I don't know anybody who has an alternative hotspot. A friend's iphone did seem to use it properly (even though the wifi symbol on their phone never changed color to indicate use.. ) since the N9 tracked a few megabytes being used here and there as I browsed on the iphone.

I'll read up the articles you posted and try see if I can figure out a solution to post!

I tether my Surface RT to N900 on Tmobile USA using bluetooth PAN. Is this an option on the N9?