Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ Tamil Nadu, India
Friends,
I am now in a situation where my nokia n900 consumes 30-40 mb of internet data everyday. Even if I am not connected to the internet it prompts me to connect. And I have no idea where all those data get stored, but I do notice a fluctuation in my applications memory. It fluctuates between 1.17 and 1.12GB. This bug has rendered me unable to browse using my n900 as the hidden data download uses up lots of battery and slows down the connection too. My request is can someone compile a network firewall using which we can monitor and block an app or system file from connecting to the internet. I am on cssu 21.2011.38-1Tmaemo7.2.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Whilst I agree that a firewall would be good, I think your problem can be resolved without one. I would check your widgets first. Location, weather applets and the like. Most likely you just need to update some configuration settings in one of them. Or just get rid of them.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
it's just your phone sending its daily report to NSA, so please don't worry and don't disturb it :-P

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Leinad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
It's better to try Autodisconnect before reflashing.

http://wiki.maemo.org/AutoDisconnect

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
doubt AutoDisconnect will solve OP's problem. It disconnects after a configured period of inactivity. But OP's device tries to connect when not connected.

Reflashing seems like an overkill. As I said before, inspect your installed apps and widgets first.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Whilst I agree that a firewall would be good, I think your problem can be resolved without one. I would check your widgets first. Location, weather applets and the like. Most likely you just need to update some configuration settings in one of them. Or just get rid of them.
I will definitely check my installed apps and widgets. I have configured RSS feeds but set it to manual refresh. Then a weather widget which I'm sure won't consume much data. Otherwise I don't have a clue to why so much data is being consumed. Even tried installing qnetman. But it doesn't help much.

Originally Posted by Leinad View Post
it's just your phone sending its daily report to NSA, so please don't worry and don't disturb it :-P
Well, if my phone is just sending a report why does it download so much data? Anyways, I am unable to pinpoint the blacksheep.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
$ netstat

$ iptables

$ ifconfig

The Following User Says Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pali View Post
$ netstat

$ iptables

$ ifconfig

I would really appreciate if I had an to block an app from accessing the internet. That way I can have complete control over my data usage.

The Following User Says Thank You to davisrases For This Useful Post: