Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
ProXPN is a service which, from my quick research, provides a nice private browsing VPN service with log deletion 14 days after. They have a free service with some limits like not permitting torrents and a fully unlocked service which just forwards the data stream.
This page has instructions for getting the settings from ProXPN to work in stock openVPN on Ubuntu. This should also work with the very easy to use OpenVPN Applet form the Maemo5 repos.
http://procurity.wordpress.com/2013/...x-via-openvpn/
The above page also works through some of the most common problems like blocked ports in NAT'ed home networks.
Is anyone else using the ProXPN free or paid service? Is there any weird NSA spy crap we need to worry about?

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
no idea. I had a look at the link you posted and it seems unnecessarily complex to have to unpack a Windows exe (probably self-extracting zip) only to get to the openvpn config file. The settings should be clearly indicated without having to unpack anything.

Plus whoever wrote the blog you posted has no clue and mixes openvpn with PPTP.

The question is why you need a VPN. If it's for geolocation-avoidance you could just rent a cheap VPS (look in lowendbox) for that. If you need secrecy/anonimity then neither a VPS nor a paid service will help you. In fact, nothing will help you

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Since I have shell accounts on different servers I use a SSH tunnel for most everything I need to do, but I think the .ovpn file with one line mod is easier to edit if memory serves.
Is user/pass supposed to be in the .ovpn file too?

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Either that or link to a separate file containing just username and password with the 'password' option inside the openvpn/proxpn config file.

@reinob
The VPN is useful, if you have to hide your traffic from your ISP, that might block or throttle services like VoIP or torrent, which are lawful, but manhandled by the ISPs anyway.
The extraction of the win or mac installer is necessary for linux users to get the necessary config file for the VPN for that provider, because they do not care for linux users. Is that a surprise to you???

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
The VPN is useful, if you have to hide your traffic from your ISP, that might block or throttle services like VoIP or torrent, which are lawful, but manhandled by the ISPs anyway.
That is a good point. Even more useful than hiding it from your own ISP might be hiding it from a public WiFi as many of them have very aggressive firewalls. It is not uncommon that I can browse TMO in a cafe but not e.g. send an email.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
The extraction of the win or mac installer is necessary for linux users to get the necessary config file for the VPN for that provider, because they do not care for linux users. Is that a surprise to you???
It's not a surprise , but it's a reason for me to ignore that particular provider ;-)