Active Topics

Originally Posted by youth View Post
Looking into a bit more it seems b-mobile may be the best option for N900 3g data in Japan? Has anyone tried this yet.
Yes, I have the 150 hours prepaid device.

The website only shows a USB device; can the sim in it be easily removed
Yes, it can be easily removed and I have done so. There's a sliding tray just above the USB connector that you can slide out with your thumbnail and take out the SIM.

& is it usable in the N900?
I don't know since I don't have a N900 yet. I assume it would work since it uses the NTT network, which runs on 2100MHz. I think I read about people successfully using it in other Nokia smartphones: http://oniku.blog.ocn.ne.jp/denwa/20...noki_76ad.html

How does the 150 hours of usage work since were talking about data? Likely much more then I need for a 8 day vacation so can this thing be resold with whatever is left on it?
Yes, you can resell it privately to someone else. (You cannot sell it back to the vendor, as they will not refund your remaining balance.) At that point officially the person is supposed to transfer the ownership by re-registering it; otherwise it keeps running under your previous registration.

You have to register the device by calling a phone number with a Japanese cell phone and inputting your device-specific ID number. No other information is needed (pretty convenient). From then on every time you connect, your time gets deducted. One connection always uses up a minimum of 3 minutes (so no 30 second quick mail checks). After the first 3 minutes, time is subtracted from your remaining balance in 1 minute increments.

Officially you're supposed to use some Windows-only proxy program to connect and keep track of your remaining time. But I don't do that (I connect the USB modem either directly to my Linux box, or I connect it to my wireless Cradlepoint router). Since you're not running their official time-keeping software, you need some other way of inquiring about how much time you have left. There's an (unofficial?) administrative website you can connect to that tells you your remaining time. Read all about it here (and bone up on your Japanese skills): http://oniku.blog.ocn.ne.jp/denwa/20...e_3g_c25a.html

Note the service has some traffic shaping so you can't watch Youtube or connect to data-intensive online games like Second Life. For normal surfing and mail checking it's fine though. For Youtube I was able to use an online proxy to watch, but I wouldn't recommend doing that often as they say they can disconnect you if you use "too much" data.

Still, it's one of the few (only?) prepaid data plans available.

Has anyone tried b-mobile's data only prepaid SIM? I tried it but no luck... "SIM Registered Failed" error appears on the screen.

It worked with other Nokia devices like 5800XM by setting the Packet Setting and "When available" option. Unfortunately I couldn't find this settings from both the
Settings application and various files stored under /etc.

http://translate.google.com/translat...m/setting.html

I feel that this case is similar with 3 (UK) data SIM card problem, which its SIM was unrecognized in previous maemo 5 release. It should be fixed in the current one, but I wonder how Nokia fixed it. Any info?

Looks like we are in the same boat I get exactly the same error. I started a different thread here:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...541#post625541

Maybe these threads should be merged?

A workaround is to connect the b-mobile 3G USB modem to a Cradlepoint mobile router then access the connection via wifi. A bulky solution though - I'd much rather use the SIM in the n900 directly.

Sorry, can you say me how did you install gjiten? In my terminal it doesn´t work properly (no radicals are shown), and I have no kanji input method.
Can I also install kanjipad?
[

QUOTE=hallgreng;460529]its an alaskan AT&T 3g-branded SIM.
regardless, the n900 is really badass with gjiten and mscim working. my japanese sucks (i only really know enough to impress the pants off a girl [though my accent and kana penmanship are said to be superb]), so gjiten and mscim REALLY come in handy when im looking for a word.[/QUOTE]

you need to download and install the kanjipad binary from the debian repos (the sid version is a good bet) by hand.

i dont know why it isnt showing fonts correctly for you. gjiten shows no deps on my system and my gjiten has always displayed bushu.

here are the fonts i have installed, see if i have any more than you:

Code:
ls /usr/share/fonts/*
/usr/share/fonts/NcrBI4nh.ttf  /usr/share/fonts/NcrRI4nh.ttf  /usr/share/fonts/NtmBI4nh.ttf  /usr/share/fonts/NtmRI4nh.ttf  /usr/share/fonts/SwaBI4nh.ttf  /usr/share/fonts/SwaRI4nh.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/NcrBR4nh.ttf  /usr/share/fonts/NcrRR4nh.ttf  /usr/share/fonts/NtmBR4nh.ttf  /usr/share/fonts/NtmRR4nh.ttf  /usr/share/fonts/SwaBR4nh.ttf  /usr/share/fonts/SwaRR4nh.ttf

/usr/share/fonts/arabic:
TanseekProArabic.ttf  UniversOTSArabic.ttf

/usr/share/fonts/chinese:
MHei18030C5.ttf

/usr/share/fonts/nokia:
DeviceSymbols-RX34.ttf  Nokia_Sans_Maps.ttf     nokiasmiley.ttf         nosnb.ttf               nosnr.ttf               nosns.ttf               nscnr.ttf

/usr/share/fonts/truetype:
ttf-droid

Originally Posted by hallgreng View Post
you need to download and install the kanjipad binary from the debian repos (the sid version is a good bet) by hand.
What's this? It's possible to get kanjipad on the N900??? Please give more details.

Your suggestion which I quoted above is probably enough for experienced debian users. But while I'm quite comfortable with the linux command line, the details of debian are not my strength. My attempts to check into this on the basis of what you wrote have led me down several confusing alleys.

A URL from which do download would be very helpful. I did find my way to a repository with reference to kanjipad in a plain text list of packages, but could not dope out where to find actual armel binaries. I've also found references to sid, but what is it and why is it a "good bet". Is it just a "good bet" or has what you suggest actually been verified to work on the N900?

Which reminds me, does anyone know if Kimitake has done any further work on getting Anthy to work on the N900?

Originally Posted by dvergin View Post
What's this? It's possible to get kanjipad on the N900??? Please give more details.

Your suggestion which I quoted above is probably enough for experienced debian users. But while I'm quite comfortable with the linux command line, the details of debian are not my strength. My attempts to check into this on the basis of what you wrote have led me down several confusing alleys.

A URL from which do download would be very helpful. I did find my way to a repository with reference to kanjipad in a plain text list of packages, but could not dope out where to find actual armel binaries. I've also found references to sid, but what is it and why is it a "good bet". Is it just a "good bet" or has what you suggest actually been verified to work on the N900?
it worked on my n810, and prior to posting this i just installed and tested it on my n900. works great!

1) download this: http://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian/pool....0-6_armel.deb
2) in an xterm as root, cd into the dir you downloaded the aforementioned .deb into
3) run the command
Code:
#dpkg -i kanjipad_2.0.0-6_armel.deb
this will install the package. it has no deps, so it should go right in.
4) inside gjiten, open the dropdown menu and select TOOLS->PREFERENCES
5) select the GENERAL button on the lefthand side, then the KANJIPAD tab inside
6) under "path to kanjipad executable:" enter:
Code:
/usr/bin/kanjipad
hit OK
7) enjoy kanjipad!

ill be the one with questions when that meego thing hits -_-;

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hallgreng For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hallgreng View Post
Code:
#dpkg -i kanjipad_2.0.0-6_armel.deb
I assume this means it's installing to the rootfs, which is risky depending on how big it is vs. how much you have free.

A proper port wouldn't hurt, I think.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
I assume this means it's installing to the rootfs, which is risky depending on how big it is vs. how much you have free.

A proper port wouldn't hurt, I think.
this is true, however there things to consider:
1) the .deb is 35k and the binary 24k, so the impact to the rootfs is minor at worst
2) the .deb can be unpacked and the kanjipad binary put wherever a person likes (gjiten must be told where it lives regardless)
3) i am not in the business of making packages... though i must say i may try to build an optified package today just out of curiosity. if anything comes of it ill be happy to share!

UPDATE:
i optified the package but the binary calls specifically for /usr/bin/kengine, so without modifying the source code (trivial) and recompiling the binary, this package can only be half-optified.

seeing as it is less than 35k overall, i dont see the point.

Last edited by hallgreng; 2010-04-25 at 20:12.

The Following User Says Thank You to hallgreng For This Useful Post: