Notices

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Manitoba, Canada
Originally Posted by belanger View Post
That's what I've been using to install mchronos; it installs fine that way.
Thanks for confirming! Now I can safely promote to 'extras', I guess.

By the way, there seems to be a problem with sphere mode. When I click on the S button, I get a disk on the screen, but the buttons on the bottom are gone. (They seem to still work, so if I guess their positions, I can get out of sphere mode.)
I checked the README to see if anything were mentioned; I noticed that at the top the "info" description is sort of missing.
Hmmm...I will have to check that out! The version on my tablet seems to be fine in that mode -- but maybe I fixed something along the way unitentionally (?). Thanks for pointing out missing 'info' description in the README file

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by darethehair View Post
Hello tso! Could you elaborate a bit more on that idea? Are you suggesting moving all the buttons to another display, so that there are no longer any buttons along the bottom of the window? If so, why would that be better that currently?
Mostly that one could set the location and similar using the interface rather then having to edit the ini...

(Regarding Sphere mode)
Originally Posted by darethehair View Post
Hmmm...I will have to check that out! The version on my tablet seems to be fine in that mode --
I don't think there's anything unusual about my setup (mchronos 0.37-2, I changed the latitude and longitude in mchronos.ini by hand, but I restored the original file and had the same problem), but still I wonder if I'm the only one with this problem. Is there anything I can do to figure it out?

Originally Posted by tso View Post
Mostly that one could set the location and similar using the interface rather then having to edit the ini...
Ah! I was afraid that you meant that...unfortunately, as mentioned earlier in this thread (or ones also discussing the limitations of the 'HildonDesktop' applet technique), many of the 'typical' PyGTK buttons (including ones that would probably enable the use of 'text' editing) don't appear to work (i.e. the desktop crashes). This is what prevented me -- for the longest time -- from having any 'interactivity' at all (buttons, etc). It was only when it dawned on me to use my own clumsy 'virtual' buttons that I was able to introduce that ability. Specially for setting the lat/long, another feeble alternative is to use the new feature in the 'earth' mode (sunclock) to set a new location by 'clicking'. However, this is not permanent -- but it quickly enables re-setting to any other world location.

On the other hand, I have *not* investigated what other developers have managed to accomplish re: interactive GUI features on their desktop applets -- especially not the Python-based ones, so perhaps there are (now) ways of doing stuff like this that I am not aware of

Originally Posted by belanger View Post
(Regarding Sphere mode)

I don't think there's anything unusual about my setup (mchronos 0.37-2, I changed the latitude and longitude in mchronos.ini by hand, but I restored the original file and had the same problem), but still I wonder if I'm the only one with this problem. Is there anything I can do to figure it out?
Hmmm...well, I intend to add a few more *minor* features in the near future, so I will investigate that for sure. What comes to mind is only the two possibilities:

- your 'window' is too low so the 'buttons' at the bottom are being cut off (?)
- a bug in the program is not allowing the 'button' code to run (one of the annoyances about this applet development is *no* error messages whatsoever -- at least none that I can see/use)

well what hometools do is not so much add buttons on the front as open its own settings dialog.

that is, by going to menu > applet settings > hometools, one can open a window that allows one to change text colors, fonts and so on.

so basically you could open a window that allows one to set defaults like text shown or hidden, position and so on...

well what hometools do is not so much add buttons on the front as open its own settings dialog.

that is, by going to menu > applet settings > hometools, one can open a window that allows one to change text colors, fonts and so on.

so basically you could open a window that allows one to set defaults like text shown or hidden, position and so on...
Ah! Very interesting idea! From a brief look at 'Hometools', I am impressed at the 'professional-style' code appearance -- compared to my own. I'll check out my ability to do some of this...

I see a new version is up. Only thing i would say thats missing from the menu is a may to manually enter a location.

I see a new version is up. Only thing i would say thats missing from the menu is a may to manually enter a location.
Oh man! I just put that version up last night, and I haven't had time to 'announce' it yet! I will do so shortly

Yep, the README file mentions the 'lack' that you point out. For now, it is the best that I can do. In the meantime, does the new version even *work*? I hadn't had time to 'test' the packaging itself.

seems to work ok here, it even gave me a more correct looking daily sun track after i ended up testing the gps way of setting my location.