After having issues with my Bluetooth headsets and getting an amazing amount of help on this forum - I found that Nokia had basically disabled the ability to use a Bluetooth headset with the N810 WiMax Edition. (Please read the end of this post for the fix.)

When I purchased the unit - it clearly stated that the Nokia N810 WiMax is Bluetooth compatible. I spent several - and I mean several hours and money on another Bluetooth headset trying to rectify the problem I was having.

I had e-mailed Nokia several times for support - but they were non-responsive. Finally after several days, I received an e-mail and this is the response I was given:

Dear Kimberly,

Thank you for e-mailing the Nokia Care Contact Center.

I apologize for the delay in responding to your e-mail message and greatly appreciate your patience.

I am truly sorry to hear that you received misinformation in regards to being able to use a Bluetooth headset with your Nokia N810 WiMax.

The Nokia N810 device is capable of being used with Bluetooth headset however; the Nokia N810 WiMax does not have this option. Nokia does support the use of same brand enhancements for guaranteed compatibility in cases where this feature is available. Kimberly, I recommend contacting your point of purchase to check their return policies due to the incompatibility between devices. In addition, if you have documentation stating that, the N810 WiMax supports a Bluetooth headset; please forward the information to us for further review.

Kimberly, I truly apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and I appreciate your response.

If you have any additional questions, please contact us. To ensure proper handling, please continue to use the current subject line.

Thank you for choosing Nokia for your mobile needs.

Qguoni
Executive Resolution Team
Nokia Inc.

On the Nokia USA site it states under specifications the following under Connectivity:

Bluetooth specification v.2.0. +EDR (profiles supported: HID, FTP, DUN, GAP, SPP, SAP, OPP)

I truly must not be getting something here, because if something states Bluetooth enabled - if there is a specific Bluetooth device that doesn't work, i.e., a Bluetooth headset, it should clearly be stated.

I wanted to share this data for those of you that have a N810 WiMax Edition unit and are having these issues to spare you the hours and hours pulling your hair out and wondering why the headset pairs, but won't connect from that point.

Here is the fix: The /etc/bluetooth/audio.service file has a default setting to "false" and you will need to get root and edit the file to state "true." Save the file and then shut the unit down and restart it. You should then have bluetooth audio connectivity.

Thanks,
Kimberly

Last edited by kmyck1; 2009-01-28 at 18:19.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kmyck1 For This Useful Post: