Active Topics

Poll: Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!
Poll Options
Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by Lehto View Post
Im sooooo tempted to test how fast it goes but I just have to force myself not to as this isnt a PC.

What comes to snappyness, Theres still this odd lag when you open the menus but once it switches to 800mhz state everything is just faster. Best way to test was with browser, it rendered maemo.org in a record time!
I doubt it'll kill anything if you try anything higher. It'll just noot boot up or crash. =P

Anyways, awesome work guys. Keep testing and once you find the optimum config, please share with us. =)
If 800Mhz is rock solid stable which sounds like it may be, that to me is just great. Would love to try out.

(I've done a bit of kernel modding on my PSP but seems N900 is a different beast)

Posts: 126 | Thanked: 327 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Now running 900mhz... next few days will tell me if I need to buy a new phone.

edit: editing this post from bed now. browser rendering times have practically halved and stopped jerking! everything just happens so much faster, only time will tell the downside.

EDIT2: Madness... Gran turismo 2 is now very playable through psx4all.

Last edited by Lehto; 2010-04-02 at 22:45.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Lehto For This Useful Post:
Does anyone know what the latencies are for various speeds -- i.e. are there some jumps that, because of common multipliers or whatever, will minimize the hiccup on up-clock?

The stock configuration is just a little too slow for comfortable playing of standard xvid tvrips, so I think 800MHz would be more than enough, which leaves me more concerned with making sure I don't shoot myself in the foot (WRT latency) any more than necessary.

Awesome update Lehto. You are making me very jealous.

Every N900 should have different comfort zones for overclocking.
I hope mine is good enough to run at 800Mhz with zero problems.
But heck, even 700Mhz would make it worthwhile. Near 17% faster.

As I have always said, a chip is a chip. PC or on a Phone. It has to be made to handle faster speeds than what we end up getting in our commercial devices. It just has to. If it was unstable at a constant 600Mhz, it would never have made it past the quality testing.

Lehto, is it possible to upload your work so that those who are inclined here can also try?
(upload one at 700Mhz, 800Mhz and 900Mhz etc)

Last edited by jakiman; 2010-04-02 at 22:57.

Posts: 126 | Thanked: 327 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Im not the author of this and its not really my work, just some edited kernel files, thats all. I dont feel safe to share these kernels just yet, somebody might do it before me though. If the machine survives the weekend then I'll upload kernels in 50mhz steps up to 900mhz.

But if you feel you wanna test this right now, even with the fear of breaking the device just drop me a pm and I'll send you the kernel files (1.7mb) for whatever speed you want.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lehto For This Useful Post:
good to hear that someone finally overclocked it.
i really want to try out, so share your kernel with us please

good luck Lehto hope nothing bad happens to your n900 keep us all updated

btw, so the new 800Mhz kernel is configured as 125,250,500,650,800?
Can N900 have more speed steps or is it limited to 5 stages?

It'll be very interesting to determine what the best increments are later after a bit of testing.

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
this is great! please share.....it wont break anything if we are careful....800mhz is the limit

Posts: 345 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Reunion Island
wooow so that is awesome, we can now play to ps4all lol !!! and seriously that seems to work just look at the super pi tests ! just waiting for you to share the kernel ^^

PC :
MSi K9N2 Diamond, AMD Phenom 9950 BE @ 3.2ghz, 2x2GO DDR2 G.Skill Extreme Pi Black PC8500, Sapphire ATi Radeon HD 4890 Vapor-X, Hitachi 1To sata II

Tags
cooking on gas, cortex-a8, faster, first to fry it wins!, hardware, its smoking, n900, need for speed, need for weed, nos, omap, omap3, omap3430, overclock, overclocking, soc, system-on-a-chip, the dogs, this thread got good!, vtec just kicked in y0!, warranty will be void, whooplah, zoom zoom