Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
In case you need yet one more (or your first) site for free eBooks I just found: http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

Looks pretty good.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Last edited by silvermountain; 2009-06-29 at 15:09.

The Following User Says Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Just note that gutenburg.org is an excellent free community -driven site which has been around a long time, whereas gutenburg.com is a commercial book seller. HTH
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
and this to go along?

http://librivox.org/

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nhanquy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Spam spam spam

I would have just deleted this post, which said something erroneous, but I couldn't find the delete. It wouldn't let me save an empty message.

Last edited by geneven; 2009-06-29 at 10:24.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Some slight comments on the above suggestions.

I don't think gutenberg.com IS a book seller. Someone got that impression because the person running the site said something about preparing a book, I suspect, but I couldn't find a way of buying a book on the site.

Librivox's offerings are quite uneven. It is an audiobook site and many audiobooks are read by different readers, rather than one consistent reader or group of readers, as is common with commercial audiobooks.

For example, I vividly remember listening to one reader, who was (a) a bad reader, (b) a kid, reading material meant for older people, and (c) apparently in a hurry to get to baseball practice or something, because he read at top speed, clearing not trying for quality.

I would say without reservation that the audible.com site has much better offerings at a fairly low price, which is true, but unfortunately the audible.com books require a Windows computer or a Mac. I have used them with Orb on my N800, but it's sort of a hassle and your N800 has to stay within wifi range for the entire reading.

By the way, there is an Internet radio station that plays high quality audiobooks 24 hours a day, which I believe works fine on tablets, but I forget the name of the site.

Project Gutenberg is great. They offer as many ebooks as they can get their hands on of books that are within Public Domain (usually the author has to have been dead for 50-75 years; depending on the locale). Occasionally living authors will allow their book to be distributed for free but this is quite rare.

But yeah anyone that hasn't heard of them has been living under a rock, this is really old news.

Plus there is a program to search, download (and read?) these ebooks available for the tablet (although fbreader + microb suffice) GutenBrowse

And yeah Project Gutenberg isn't a book seller. Because they have free, well "open source" books and who would want to buy those in paperback or hardcover when they can read them digitally on mobile screen (Nokia IT, MID, laptop, hacked Kindle, or even a cellphone). I used to read ebooks from Project Gutenberg years ago, Sherlock Holmes on my Cybiko. Also CTRL+F (find) is very useful for quotations

The Following User Says Thank You to linuxeventually For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i found myself poking around http://feedbooks.com/ lately.

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
And if you like current Science Fiction, there is also the Baen Free Library. Baen Books is a book seller, but Jim Baen realized that sales increased if he also gave away ebooks of the product. He put up the Library site, and also published CDs containing a couple of dozen books in the back cover of the hardback editions of the premiere writers. This gave exposure to lesser known authors.

The CDs themselves are published under a Creative Commons or Open Source license, so there are sites around the Interwebs that have the iso images, the best one I have found is Baen CDs at the Fifth Imperium site. Now the CDs do contain some overlap, but there is still a lot of books included.

There's some good reading out there. I personally recommend the Honorverse series, the Empire of Man series, the Hammer's Slammers books, and the Legends of Aldenata series, though there is a ton of good reading there.

BTW, the MobiPocket format works just fine in FBreader...

--vr

Last edited by VulcanRidr; 2009-08-05 at 09:23.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VulcanRidr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Germany
Just to add one more. Project Gutenberg Australia offers "newer" books due to different laws in the US and AUS. IIRC in Australia the copyrigth expires 50 yrs. after the death of the author. In most cases, they link to their American counterpart, thou.

icke

The Following User Says Thank You to icke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
Oh yeah, I just remembered another source of ebooks that I used to use back in my Palm days: http://memoware.com

--vr

The Following User Says Thank You to VulcanRidr For This Useful Post: