Notices

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by IsaacDFP View Post
Actually my bad, wrong choice of words. I didn't mean a GUI, but more of all those little msn plugins that came into the N900 a while after its release. I think they were 3 of them? Pecan being one of them. I would also hate a GUI-like MSN application and LOVED the integration part of the OS/UI. But that's what I meant. Now to add MSN support on the N900, all one has to do is download and install a simple package from the reps and it will appear on the UI of the Accounts page. That's pretty much all i want...lol, a UI on the Account page where I can easily enter and change my information at will. I'd rather avoid the terminal if not urgently needed...
Ah yes I know what you mean. I used pecan on my n900. This is actually equivalent to the 'telepathy-butterfly' solution on the n900, and if someone makes a UI for that then they would use the same packages. None of the n900 solutions are supported by microsoft though, so we're still on our own.

The guy who maintained msn-pecan on the n900 has said that he will port it to harmattan, he just hasn't had time yet (though I hope no-one hassles him too much).

I've updated my earlier post with the proper packages, so everyone should replace the self-built stuff with those. To do that, run 'make uninstall' as root in the telepathy-butterfly and python-telepathy source directories, then install the packages. Papyon doesn't seem to do uninstall, but didn't seem to care. If you get an error about files not being linked, uninstall the package and install it again. That worked for me. My N9 feels a lot cleaner now

Last edited by billranton; 2011-12-01 at 21:06.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billranton For This Useful Post:
Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
I get "permission denied" when doing "mkdir /home/user/msn".

Any idea why?

Moderator | Posts: 3,717 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by johnsnipe View Post
Got it! many thanks, my mistake was that i miss to add the butterfly/msn/, its not mentioned on the first post..
it DOES say it on the first post... just read more carefully
(and no, I didn't quickly change the post)

Originally Posted by billranton View Post
Ah yes I know what you mean. I used pecan on my n900. This is actually equivalent to the 'telepathy-butterfly' solution on the n900, and if someone makes a UI for that then they would use the same packages. None of the n900 solutions are supported by microsoft though, so we're still on our own.

The guy who maintained msn-pecan on the n900 has said that he will port it to harmattan, he just hasn't had time yet (though I hope no-one hassles him too much).

I've updated my earlier post with the proper packages, so everyone should replace the self-built stuff with those. To do that, run 'make uninstall' as root in the telepathy-butterfly and python-telepathy source directories, then install the packages. Papyon doesn't seem to do uninstall, but didn't seem to care. If you get an error about files not being linked, uninstall the package and install it again. That worked for me. My N9 feels a lot cleaner now
were are the source directories? I cant find them.. Or if you have the steps to uninstall the packages i will be grateful, i am not very good at doing this..

Edit: its done now i got msn on my phone many thanks jeje

Last edited by johnsnipe; 2011-12-02 at 06:26.

Posts: 233 | Thanked: 491 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Sydney
I cannot send messages for some reason, only receive. Please help.

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by slai View Post
I get "permission denied" when doing "mkdir /home/user/msn".

Any idea why?
I guess you're trying to do this as root. The Aegis security system in harmattan won't let root mess with user's files.
Don't bother with all that though, just install the .deb packages I linked to in the earlier post. You can put them anywhere you like.

billranton: yeah, just following the instructions in the OP letter by letter.

So in this part, I can just change "/home/user/msn" to "/home/user/MyDocs/mymsnfolder" in all instances and that will work?

mkdir /home/user/msn
cp -r papyon-0.5.6 /home/user/msn
cp -r telepathy-python-0.15.19 /home/user/msn
cd /home/user/msn/papyon-0.5.6
chmod 777 *
python setup.py install
cd /home/user/msn/telepathy-python-0.15.19
chmod 777 *
./configure
make
make install
cd /home/user/MyDocs/msn
dpkg -i telepathy-butterfly_0.5.15+git20111122-1_armel.deb

mc-tool add butterfly/msn MSN string:account=(youremail) stringassword=(yourpassword)

mc-tool enable (your account, it's shown 1 line above, starting with butterfly/msn/)

rm -Rf /home/user/msn

Posts: 586 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
HtheB!

Hi. Change that add accout:

Code:
mc-tool add butterfly/msn MSN string:account=(youremail) string:password=(yourpassword)

mc-tool enable (your account, it's shown 1 line above, starting with butterfly/msn/)
To

Code:
mc-tool add butterfly/msn MSN string:account=(youremail) string:password=(yourpassword)

mc-tool enable butterfly/msn/(your account) it's shown 1 line above
I do not understad either to add "butterfly/msn" on front

sorry, little bump for my question above here, kind of got terminal open and slightly confused as to how to proceed :P .

Moderator | Posts: 3,717 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Updated first post!

The Following User Says Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:

Tags
messenger, pidgin