Posts: 88 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Solingen; Germany
hi

i didn't read the thread completly from the beginning to the end, but is it possible to put mer into scratchbox + xephyr?

i really would like to be the first with my project (easy-sdk), who provides this kind of installation..

greatings, thopiekar

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by thopiekar View Post
hi

i didn't read the thread completly from the beginning to the end, but is it possible to put mer into scratchbox + xephyr?
You don't even have to You can use Xephyr + a chroot (described at http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer_Blueprint#...n_.28chroot.29, run it in it's own virtual machine (VDI) - it runs on x86 so you don't need to test on a scratchbox.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Guatemala
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
I realize this isn't a solution, but can you document what you did here. This is great progress and there's an outside chance that I could help. Thanks.
You need to compile your kernel with CONFIG_BOOT_PRINTK_DELAY set and pass the boot parameter 'boot_delay=X' where X is ms. I pass 100ms and it works without the need for serial-console R&D flag. Please keep us posted on your findings.

Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
so 2.6.21 from latest Diablo is old or recent regarding this serial code? I guess still the old one. I forgot you run recent kernels so the one doing the kexec for you was not the old one. I'm trying this with 2.6.21.

I see. What about delay just before jumping to new kernel or what about switching to slower CPU clock before?
I tried to kexec the 2.6.21 kernel from a kexec capable 2.6.28 and it only works with serial-console flag. On the other side a 2.6.28 kexeced kernel works without serial-console flag iff you insert the above printk delays. I didn't tried a 2.6.21 kernel with delays tho.

BTW I have not tried to insert delays before jumping nor switching to slower CPU freqs as I'm not a very bright kernel hacker

The Following User Says Thank You to solca For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
I've updated the Mer pages and split them up properly, as to structure the work with Mer more.

If you would like to participate in Mer actively, please read http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer and http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer/Sprints - it's a matter of signing up by e-mail and getting listed, and then participating in the sprints, no tests or interviews

We will try to employ microblogging as a means to deal with the fact it can be difficult to have real-time conversations, and to be able to render eachothers activities visible to eachother. More information in the Sprints wiki page.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Originally Posted by solca View Post
You need to compile your kernel with CONFIG_BOOT_PRINTK_DELAY set and pass the boot parameter 'boot_delay=X' where X is ms. I pass 100ms and it works without the need for serial-console R&D flag. Please keep us posted on your findings.

I tried to kexec the 2.6.21 kernel from a kexec capable 2.6.28 and it only works with serial-console flag. On the other side a 2.6.28 kexeced kernel works without serial-console flag iff you insert the above printk delays. I didn't tried a 2.6.21 kernel with delays tho.

BTW I have not tried to insert delays before jumping nor switching to slower CPU freqs as I'm not a very bright kernel hacker
Thanks for the info, but I am no kernel hacker. Sometimes I get lucky with a conservative, naive (minimize the variables) approach when I accept that I'm in over my head. Thus, I have a simple goal with a simple approach.

My goal:

To enhance my tablet, not significantly modify it. That means it will work as is with the added ability to kexec into at least one other kernel/OS.

My approach:

I'm currently running an unmodified maemo 5.2008.43-7 kernel (latest Diablo SSU). I will patch this kernel only for successful kexec ability. When I'm satisfied with this kernel I will then:
  • clone an initfs (for this, maybe Nokia's instead of fanoush's) and modify this clone if needed
  • clone my primary OS partition (/dev/mmcblk0p3) and modify this clone if needed
  • add the new kernel to /boot of one of these cloned partitions
  • add a kexec entry to the flash initfs bootmenu for the cloned kernel/initfs/OS
If I can "successfully" boot and run this new entry the goal will be satisfied.

Because I'm very happy with my n800 as is, I would hope that a slightly modified maemo 5.2008.43-7 (2.6.21-omap1) kernel could be a good enough slave/boot kernel for any kernel/OS combination that can be thrown at it. If not, well...

Also, consider this a challenge to the rest of the hack monsters out there to beat me to the punch. Some of you already seem fairly close to the finish line; because of my parenting responsibilities, I probably won't even start patching till Friday. So, on your mark...Get set...Go!

More as I know.

This kexec patch was just submitted yesterday inside the Ubuntu Kernel Team. Could be interesting:
The kexec syscall function is broken on ARM due to it not properly calling
the relocation stub with the correct arguments. This patch puts machine_kexec
in line with the other architectures, and allows kexec to work peroply on ARM.
It has been tested on the versatile kernel successfully.

Last edited by daperl; 2009-01-22 at 07:57.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 109 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Guatemala
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
This kexec patch was just submitted yesterday inside the Ubuntu Kernel Team. Could be interesting:
The kexec syscall function is broken on ARM due to it not properly calling
the relocation stub with the correct arguments. This patch puts machine_kexec
in line with the other architectures, and allows kexec to work peroply on ARM.
It has been tested on the versatile kernel successfully.
Will try and report back...

Are the mer repositories down? http://repository.mer.tspre.org/ has been unavailable from the UK (at least) since yesterday.

Posts: 94 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Bangkok, Thailand
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
My md5sum on my side is 8c142b2bc4670a6644e85ec3806096ee, i'll try and reupload and see if it helps :P
Sorry for the delay in responding. I was laid up in hospital for a few days.

The second download was successful and matched your md5sum. This is my first try at virtualbox. The instructions given were clear enough but I wound up with the attached screenshots.

What am I doing wrong?

thailbill
Attached Images

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Trier, Germany
I had no problems running Mer in VB. Maybe you should rename the image and add it to the disk manager.

Tags
mer, mer release