Still under testing. Straight compile (almost) from Debian repositories. I will post on maemo garage as soon as I figure out how to :-)
The only thing left to do is to get it to run via an rc2.d/ script.
Any comments? Please PM me for the tarball.

Stupid me. I just had to make a link in the rc2.d/ directory. Seems to work like a charm. Any takers?

*edit*

Oh, and crontab is included too :-)

I'm very interested. You beat me to the port (still finishing a semester of school). It works well?

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
I am up for the task

Posts: 299 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Wales UK
I'll Bite your hand off.

rick

@ mzandrew: I'm doing my final year at university :-) And it seems to work without any problems.

So here it is:
http://www.anomaly-music.com/cron/

Read the README, download the .tar.gz and follow the instructions!

Last edited by convulted; 2007-04-27 at 07:41.

I installed it and it doesn't seem to run my cron jobs. I'm a bit rusty on crontabs, so forgive me if it's my fault.

On my desktop machine, this runs all the scripts in /etc/cron.hourly every hour on the hour:
Code:
01 * * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.hourly
and the same line on my 770 does nothing. I have a script called "touchy" in each /etc/cron.hourly that simply touches a file in the root directory so that I can easily tell whether it's working.

Since there's no /var/log/messages on my 770, I can't even see the error message that cron would be reporting.

What I did: I ran the installer after untarring the file in /root. I didn't reboot after install, I just ran cron. I edited the crontab using crontab -e. I've tried killing cron and re-running it to no avail.

Any ideas anyone?

Try this command:

Code:
* * * * * touch /test
This should touch the file /test every minute, on the minute. It worked for me straight out of the (scratch)box. Try this command, if it works maybe your crontab syntax is rustier than you thought :P (just kidding!)
I am of absolutely no use in crontab syntax... all I know are the very basics. Nevertheless, I use it for some basic tasks on a (badly maintained, admittidely) Linux box I have at home.

*edit*

cron runs as root, so maybe you could/should leave out the "root" part from that statement. As for the run-parts... is that a separate bin or is it interpreted by cron itself (I didn't need to go too much into detail with the cron source to compile it)?

Last edited by convulted; 2007-04-27 at 17:58.

PS: I don't think the 770 has a run-parts script. Save the file at http://examples.oreilly.com/upt3/split/run-parts to the /usr/bin or /bin directory and chmod it to be executable by root (or everyone). Try
Code:
chmod ugoa+x /bin/run-parts
This should do the trick. I'm still unsure about the "root" part, although it is probably good syntax.

run-parts is already installed and is executable. It's a symlink to busybox:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Sep 29 2006 /bin/run-parts -> busybox