Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by mikeallen View Post
Looking at the Nokia website, they don't really seem to want to hear from customers. Closing up to customers is probably why Nokia is having problems. They don't know what is going on, what problems people are having etc. One has perhaps to put an "anti-Nokia N900" website up, with Googlejuice to make these Finlanders wake up. Else the company will go out of business and Apple and Google will take over mobile worldwide.
Have you tried contacting Nokia? I don't know how you are inferring that they don't look like they want to help based on their website. Call or email them with a question. I bet you will get a response. Now will it be helpful? That depends on the question and how it's worded (IMO this place is 1000x times more helpful than Nokia support).

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
Why this?

It's obviously not going to find any service providers because you put the darn thing in offline mode before you switched it off. It will remember that mode for the next time you boot, so you will need to put it back into phone mode when you power up again.

Whereas if you just powered down it would detect the networks as soon as you powered up.

Think of Windows. You mute your speakers before you shut the PC down. Next time you boot up the speakers are going to be muted.

"Offline" mode is "Flight" mode. No matter what happens it is not connected to the network (no calls can be received or made) but the device can still be used like a normal laptop. Your service provider will detect when you put the phone into "Offline" mode and will not attempt to forward any calls until it gets an "Online" signal again from your device.
It doesn't matter if you go online and re-boot after getting off the plane. It still can't find a network. I didn't have to re-boot my Nokia N95 which was offline after getting of an aircraft.

Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
Have you tried contacting Nokia? I don't know how you are inferring that they don't look like they want to help based on their website. Call or email them with a question. I bet you will get a response. Now will it be helpful? That depends on the question and how it's worded (IMO this place is 1000x times more helpful than Nokia support).
Yes I have tried. The process is grossly-un-user-friendly and intrusive. It seems to me that Nokia does everything possible to dissuade user feedback and problems. The company is living on a different planet. Monopoly-land. What is the reason for this website? Is it totally ignored by the company?

The Following User Says Thank You to mikeallen For This Useful Post:
[QUOTE=mikeallen;737354]
Thanks for telling me. My comments - N900 has a lousy interface that wasn't tested. The reply to the SMS should "stick out" rather than being hidden unless you click on the message you sent. After all if you left the phone in a room, came back, had a reply, you wouldn't have a clue that you received the reply if you didn't hear the audible signal. Even if you "went through" your SMSs. It is incompetently designed and tested. This is not "threading" in my books - threading implies indentation - not hiding.
Maybe the interface isn't for you, but it is very functional and IMO way better than the standard SMS interface. You have the whole conversation in one place (including IM convos) which is the very definition of "threaded." Regarding notifications, the light blinks blue, there is a notification on the lock screen telling you that there is a message/email/missed call and how many, AND there is the yellow "card" that pops up in the dashboard (which will lead you right to the message if you click on it).

From my experience, very well designed and user friendly. But honestly, based on your comments it just seems like you made a poor phone choice sorry. Nokia E72 or even iPhone would have been better for you it seems.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
I am perfectly open. I use Linux on PCs. I shouldn't have to buy an app or tinker with the product to get off a plane and find my N900 working properly. Or divert calls on my terms. Or see incoming text messages and missed calls because the events are highlighted to me rather than being hidden. This has nothing to do with "the type of phone for you" stuff. This is basic 123.
I know you're in trouble and I really don't want to add salt to the injury but I can make an exception for you in view of your attitude towards other helpers: Don't lie and put the blame on others just because you screwed up your own phone and don't want to admit your own failure because it makes you look like an idiot who can't even screw a lightbulb. Sorry, we're not that stupid to believe you that your phone failed on its own without idiot intervention.

Phew, I say it. I feel good.

Last edited by 9000; 2010-07-01 at 17:12.

[QUOTE=cfh11;737439]

Maybe the interface isn't for you, but it is very functional and IMO way better than the standard SMS interface. You have the whole conversation in one place (including IM convos) which is the very definition of "threaded." Regarding notifications, the light blinks blue, there is a notification on the lock screen telling you that there is a message/email/missed call and how many, AND there is the yellow "card" that pops up in the dashboard (which will lead you right to the message if you click on it).

From my experience, very well designed and user friendly. But honestly, based on your comments it just seems like you made a poor phone choice sorry. Nokia E72 or even iPhone would have been better for you it seems.
I like threading - I have no problem with it. This Nokia N900 SMS stuff is not threading - it is hiding replies. Threading implies indenting. Not hiding.

The touch sensitive screen is not well designed - it is difficult to scroll across netcasts ("podcasts") without causing one of them to play. The menu system doesn't always work - one clicks on an icon and the wrong thing happens.

Is there an app to fix that? Why should there be? It should be right in the product.

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
@mikeallen

9.) try re-calibrating your screen, but with your thumbs (or fingers)

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
I know you're in trouble and I really don't want to add salt to the injury but I can make an exception for you in view of your attitude to other helpers: Don't lie and put the blame on others just because you screwed up your own phone and don't want to admit your own failure because it makes you look like an idiot who can't even screw a lightbulb. Sorry, we're not that stupid to believe you that your phone failed on its own without idiot intervention.

Phew, I say it. I feel good.
How did I "screw up" my own phone please? I have no apps installed. And only downloaded the firmware updates from the Nokia website. Nothing nerdy done. Out of the box scenario really.

PS Nokia sealed box from German supplier

[QUOTE=mikeallen;737450]
I like threading - I have no problem with it. This Nokia N900 SMS stuff is not threading - it is hiding replies. Threading implies indenting. Not hiding.
Well, we can agree to disagree on whether threading implies indentation. But how are the messages hidden? You click on the recipients name and *presto* there are all your messages, sent and received.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
PS Nokia sealed box from German supplier
Hey, seal it again and send it back. I believe this is the best suggestion you got so far.