Active Topics

Actually for me it started like for "teethgrinder", padding with paper helped at first. Then it progressed to "ndi"'s stage, with the difference that pinching j and k lightly was my test case.

For me too, there were communications errors in dmesg.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Huh, so it's not a localized weakness, it depends on where you sit on it

For me, JK area is rather safe. Mine require the leaste effort on W, S,D maybe up to F. Havinf the cover and screen closed is worse because it widens the area where pressing kills it.

I wish it would complain. Maybe we could have it complain? Something along the lines of cat syslog | grep modem error?

ETA:
Code:
Nokia-N900:/var/log# cat syslog.old | grep "modem connection cannot be established, giving up"
Apr 29 17:23:41 Nokia-N900 cellular: ssc[1014]: modem connection cannot be established, giving up
Nokia-N900:/var/log#
I could use that in a queen beecon, but that is the extent of my skill. I should get it to return an error when string isn't empty, I'm sure there is a way. Until then, I could pass the resut to something that fails, so the widget turns red if there has been a failure.

Note I used an old log.

ETA2:
I used awk to have it return the failure date and time (first failure). I also added a reset button.

Code:
cat /var/log/syslog | grep "modem connection cannot be established, giving up" | awk -F "\ " '{print $3,$2"th"}'
The reset button resets syslog:

Code:
Nokia-N900:/var/log# cat /bin/resys 
killall klogd
killall syslogd
rm /var/log/syslog
klogd
syslogd
Nokia-N900:/var/log#
Above resys(.sh) requires root for killall. Personally, I'm tired of rootsh so I used sudoers. There you go. It ain't pretty, but it works.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Last edited by ndi; 2011-05-03 at 09:56.

Same problem here. Sent the phone to Nokia Care Point. Let's see what happens!

Originally Posted by niko3d View Post
I've gave mine back to car phone warehouse the other day too. I miss my n900 darn it. Thing is they will do the same thing with mine even though I flashed it already and it was still reporting the same error, like they can flash it differently to us. They want to send it to there own team to get flashed and pretend its fixed without testing properly rather then send it directly to Nokia. So it will end up being 4 weeks waiting I bet. Good luck to anyone with this problem.....
Mine was back in 10 days. A long time to have to use my old N96 which I thought was good until I got my N900. Nothing else around like it. Only good thing about carphone warehouse NOT fixing the problem is that you will be able to get a refurbished one which will cure the problem. Only downside is that it came with original software so took a while to update the software and restore it. Got one from them in 2 days. When the fault happened again I left the message on the screen and took it back so they could not argue.

So i called carphone warehouse to see what was going on with my "repair" as the website tracking system was down. Turns it out they wont repair or even attempt to...... Because of water damage!!!!!!!!! and its never been anywhere near any water, like most of the guys here that n900 is treated with great care at all times!
I dont get it, how the heck can I have water damage. Maybe its the soggy air in glasgow. Im sure as hell not very happy, Im guessing nokia would do the same.......... Thankfully i should be covered by insurance. Just means paying the excess and waiting ages for a fixed/replacement.
Sigh....

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Melbourne
I've opened mine yesterday, cleaned the pcb board, adjusted the pins connecting the antennas to the board... and nothin.
It seem the solution is pcb board replacing or a new phone...

Posts: 539 | Thanked: 518 times | Joined on May 2010 @ nanaurbusiness
Had this message 2 days ago multiple times. But now everything seems to be back to normal until now. No errors and no disconnects. But I'm still afraid of the error coming back.

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2011 @ Germany
So ... I got this thing about 2 weeks ago, after using my device for about 4 month. Since then I was looking for some resolution for this problem but found nothing but sending it back to Nokia in hope of getting a new one. (I tried to adjust the pins for sim card and antenna, reflashing but nothing helps - seems to be a pure hardware issue)
But ... how many of them does Nokia still have?
And, does anyone know of anyone using it for more than half a year without any problems?
Otherwise I'll try to get a n ew (refurbished) one and sell ist and get back to my ... ahh ... whatever I can make calls with ...

... just found my little 8210

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ finland
got mine back from repair yesterday.. couple of hours of use, and th same problem occured.. taking it back today. all they did was flash the firmware and emmc.. so pissed right now. two weeks without my N900.. and i think its going to take more this time..

Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
Well, I have a similar problem in SF Bay Area with T-Mobile.
It doesn't give me any message but phone communication (3G + voice)
disappears, while WiFi and BT is active.

All things point to new hi-speed T-Mobile 3G+, it was introduced in SF Bay Area last week.
There seems to be a history of "data connection lost" and T-Mobile
and there are many postings like this:
http://www.htchd2forum.com/general-h...lease-help!!!/

Seems to be a problem of the carrier.

Tags
antenna, communication, depressing, disabled, error, problem, telephony