Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
With the carriers and even home ISP's insisting on bandwidth caps, I don't foresee streaming as something I can enjoy. I also believe that, in their arrogance and greed, the ISP's and carriers are also impeding the incredible progress and openness with which the Internet became so popular during the 90's. It seems like any progress during the late 2000's was DESPITE the carriers/ISP's, certainly not because of them. I don't really see Google Music streaming taking off while this is the case--but maybe it'll put more "anti-competitive" light on the issue and make people ask why COMCAST was allowed to buy NBC/Universal while it insists on capping bandwidth from Netflix... or why Verizon insists on capping its wireless bandwidth while giving you free pass for bandwidth if you purchase their music services. Fishy. Just saying--I feel as if there's a pronounced odor of rodent feces in the telecom industry.
Indeed, a good point. At the moment, I can see this being a better service for a home use rather than mobile thanks to the larger bandwidth allotment. Of course, the ability to 'pin' songs makes this more palatable, offering the ability to secure offline caching in spite of network concerns.

I do believe that bandwidth will increase at some point. I fully expect that the caps are artificial and not based on infrastructure, but its only a matter of time before the pressure forces them upwards. Yes, it is a tragic impedance to the open web.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
As expected, Android 3.1 is coming to Google TV:

http://phandroid.com/2011/05/10/andr...market-in-tow/

This means, a much improved UI, full market access, and other features of the OS built in.

Now that Android 3.1 can act as a USB host, it makes a wonderful casual gaming console that is *certain* to be exploited by some ambitious corporation. Services like on-live are also much more attractive on a multi-function GTV device.

Also streaming media is about to get a lot more functional, as well as general applications that will work well on the big screen.

Thanks to facial tracking demoed in the keynote, this sets up the possibility for some really cool living room video chats, or even simple kinect-type gaming.

Lastly, the Android @ home initiative will ensure that your TV can be controlled via your other android devices. This is a wonderful degree of integration.

I don't watch any TV and the upcoming Google TV is extremely enticing to me. It's likely less trouble and less expensive than a DIY home-theater setup.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Music isn't the only pond google is dipping is gnarled toes into. Next up? Movie rentals:

http://thisismynext.com/2011/05/10/m...ndroid-market/

Available to US residents, the Android Market has movie rentals from $1.99 to $3.99 available to watch online (market site) or on any of your Android devices.

The rental lasts 30 days from payment, and once the playback starts, there is 24 hours to watch the movie.

Nothing special, but certainly welcome.

Here's a really cool demo of the Android ADK at work.... playing a piano!
http://www.androidcentral.com/new-an...lay-sweet-tune

Midi via the XOOM to adurino and then piano. Neato.

This would be a fantastic classroom tool. I can't wait to see what creative things students do with this tech, and I have a feeling that it will see a TON of support.

The Android 3.1 developer site has been made available:

http://developer.android.com/sdk/and...ighlights.html
http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-3.1.html

USB host, resizable widgets, SDK & more. All available for your perusal.

Plus, I expect that there is a healthy dose of bug-fixing.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
The Android 3.1 developer site has been made available:

http://developer.android.com/sdk/and...ighlights.html
http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-3.1.html

USB host, resizable widgets, SDK & more. All available for your perusal.

Plus, I expect that there is a healthy dose of bug-fixing.
Keyboards, mice, joystick support, almost any USB peripheral...
This is finally starting to feel like a proper computer!

My big question is... WILL THERE BE ESCAPE, CONTROL, etc keys!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Keyboards, mice, joystick support, almost any USB peripheral...
This is finally starting to feel like a proper computer!

My big question is... WILL THERE BE ESCAPE, CONTROL, etc keys!
Heh heh... Indeed, a very welcome feature, especially for increasingly capable devices.

I see Android as being the most popular user OS in the not so distant future. I forsee increasing devices moving over to this much-simplified method of computing -- even Apple seems to be moving away from intel which means that iOS may find a home on its macbook line. That said, I expect Android to become more competent as a desktop alternative as app support improves and the market shifts to ARM.

I couldn't use Android as my main system currently (I rely entirely to much on TL) but I wouldn't feel bad about adopting it *if* it could do what I needed. Certain aspects of the system are very enticing, but at the end of the day, it's power and legacy that holds me. I suspect that this will change in time.

New Galaxy S 2 GL benchmarks show even higher top performance!
http://www.glbenchmark.com/phonedeta...9100+Galaxy+S2

Very, very impressive results.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
anyone owns an HTC Desire Z? you know? the awesome android-qwerty powered device? i want a qwerty+android, and i see this one.....is it good software, ui etc regardless of hardware?

EDIT: software......men it has custom roms so i have my pick....

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Here's a little more controversy for the TL/Android discussion...

Andy Rubin explains why Android is not a Community Driven Project:

http://androidandme.com/2011/05/news...riven-project/

Open source is different than a community-driven project. Android is light on the community-driven side and heavy on the open source. Everything we do ends up in the open source repository.
We're building a platform, not an app. Developers evolve APIs and deprecate APIs, they are always adding new functionality. When we add new APIs, typically in my opinion community processes don't work. It's really hard to tell when you're done, it's really hard to tell what's a release and what's a beta.
Developers have to have an expectation that all the APIs are done and complete at certain date.
If it was a community process, an OEM could start building devices, then those devices would be incompatible from a third-party developer's perspective. We have to make sure those APIs are on all those devices that adopt those platforms. Going forward, that becomes part of our job, our responsibility. A community process harder to manage. We take submissions form community, but it's a much more controlled way in how it comes out.
Have at it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy