Tethering costs me nothing on O2. It just comes out of my "unlimited" allowance like everything else (although I'm technically breaking TOS and Terms and condtions).

I would USB my self, it works pretty much flawlessly, and its faster.

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Birmingham
Originally Posted by col37400 View Post
Ah OK, I have an 2gb data allowance, I've tethered before and they don't seem to notice, other than sending me a text if I get near my allowance but that happens if I use a lot of data on the phone itself anyway. So I don't think tethering/hotspot would be any different for me cost-wise.
Ah ok, maybe there is no distinction between tethering and hotspot from a cost point view, it just seemed to me that the tethering was quite a lot more expensive on my provider.

Reflashing the phone is a bit of a pain just to get one application working. Maybe I will have to do that, although I'll see if I can gain anything from the other thread.
Maybe it won't come to that, out of interest did you upgrade from 1.2 to 1.3 with the stock kernel installed or the power-kernel? From skim reading some of the other threads that seems to cause issue. Or you could just try un-installing fcam stuff, install hotspot, check it works then install fcam stuff back again, not sure if that would help, but its a quite easy thing to test. Or even just re-install the kernel from command line that may help as well?

I think I'm losing the faith with the N900/maemo now... everything is so much hassle. It was OK at the beginning because it could do stuff other phones couldn't, but now, I just feel like going for Android where all these things are just easy.
Believe me, maemo/meego is the way forward, haven't got much experience with android but vs S^3 maemo kicks a**! But it depends what you want (and how much hassle you are willing it put up with), for the time being, N900 has the best HW/OS combo out there (for me), HW is a little bit dated but the OS makes up for that. I would watch and see what happens with the first Meego device and go from there....

Anyway sorry I couldn't help with your initial problem, but I hope I helped a little bit

I'm using three.co.uk as the APN
Just thought is that the correct APN for three??

mine is general.t-mobile.uk

three.co.uk seems a little bit simple...

EDIT: sorry yep thats the right APN

Take a look here. Guys having the same issue as you, think the answer is on the fifth post....

Link: http://forums.crackberry.com/f62/how...1/index10.html

Populate the DUN part (apparently):

Username: wapuser1
password: wap
Telephone number: internet.com

Last edited by davedickson; 2011-05-13 at 12:10.

Originally Posted by davedickson View Post
Take a look here. Guys having the same issue as you, think the answer is on the fifth post....

Link: http://forums.crackberry.com/f62/how...1/index10.html

Populate the DUN part (apparently):

Username: wapuser1
password: wap
Telephone number: internet.com
Am I understanding correctly that those are to populate the settings on my Mac (rather than somewhere on the n900)?

I've gone to Preferences>Network>click on "Bluetooth DUN N900" in the left hand pane, then in the settings on the right hand side I've put in what you say above (although it says "Account Name" rather than "Username".

Still doesn't work I'm afraid.

I think those might be settings for some other network ("Rogers" whatever that is?), from reading the link you gave.

Am I understanding correctly that those are to populate the settings on my Mac (rather than somewhere on the n900)?

I've gone to Preferences>Network>click on "Bluetooth DUN N900" in the left hand pane, then in the settings on the right hand side I've put in what you say above (although it says "Account Name" rather than "Username".

Still doesn't work I'm afraid.

I think those might be settings for some other network ("Rogers" whatever that is?), from reading the link you gave.
Yeah I think the guys on there are saying that you have to type in something in the username/password/telephone number section on your mac, rather than leaving them blank (which i guess is the default - from the site you were using at first)

But if you just search using the error code you got there are a few sites you can look at. I'll take another look in a bit and see if I can come up with anything

Well...in the end the solution has been to bring my very well-worn N95 out of retirement, install the free version of Joikuspot on it and use that as a hotspot.

Progress eh?

Thanks for your response.

It seems that the one I want is v46 but I can't see it in the repositories and all the other versions that are there are for some reason uninstallable (conflicting packages) for me.
You can get this from the bleeding-edge wl1251 package with good installation help, so you don't have to go to 47. Download the thing from lxps blog, install from the package and either use or don't use the b-e-drivers as well, as you prefer.

cheers...

Anyone any other ideas how to solve this? I have the exact same problem. I've tried 3internet and three.co.uk as APN, I've tried guest/guest for username/pass, but it makes no difference .