Active Topics

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 729 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Athens, Greece
I have never had the phone charge via USB before and 4 hours is double the time it takes the wall charger to fully charge my device. Is this normal?

Who knows, my phone charges on USB in 3-4 h, but on wall charger it will not charge at all - I can keep it on wall charger and battery will not be depleated but it will not charge as well.

I am sure there is a reasonable explanation for both our cases...

USB chargers take longer than the wall charger, wall charger takes about 1.30 hour while the USB charger takes about 3-4 hours. I once heared a theory but im not sure weather its right or not saying that the USB charger is more stable than the wall charger and makes the battery last longer.

The Following User Says Thank You to AgogData For This Useful Post:
The green light is on after 4 hours and 40 minutes.

AgogData I hope you are right and also I hope my battery is not fried :P

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by AgogData View Post
USB chargers take longer than the wall charger, wall charger takes about 1.30 hour while the USB charger takes about 3-4 hours. I once heared a theory but im not sure weather its right or not saying that the USB charger is more stable than the wall charger and makes the battery last longer.
well if both chargers and the N900 charges the battery to the same voltage then the battery will not last longer with one or the other.

The Following User Says Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
USB outputs lower mAh than the wall charger, it also takes about that long if you use an old Nokia charger with the adapter that comes with the N900

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wichall For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by AgogData View Post
You are correct. When a battery has been discharged, it has a low internal resistance when it is connected to a charger. If the charger can provide 900ma current, then the battery will heat up until the internal resistance goes higher. If you use your usb port on a computer to charge your battery, you are limiting the current to about 500ma. This also limits amount of heat being dissipated by the battery during charging. Less heat, longer battery life. In the old days, we used a formula to determine the proper charge current for a battery. If a battery was rated at 1200ma hours we would limit the charge current to 10% of that, or 120ma. Then people insisted on being able to do a "quick charge". Instead of charging at the 120ma, they built chargers that charged at a much higher current. now, instead of replacing batteries every three years, they had to replace every year or even every six months.

Last edited by Den in USA; 2011-05-13 at 13:15.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
You guys are one of the best reasons why I don't want to give up my N900

I think your n900 is hungry.