Hi Guys,

First time poster, long time lurker.

Ive had my n900 for nearly a year now and have been really impressed with it. However for the past few months there has been an issue regarding the camera button and app.

Whenever the camera button is pressed, or brushed even lightly while the phone is unlocked, the camera app automatically opens. As you can imagine, this gets very annoying.

Ive tried re-flashing the device completely, installing shortcutd and assigning the button to another function however neither of these solutions work.

Any help would be amazing guys, if not im going to drop past the nokia care centre here in melbourne...thanks!

Camera button has 2steps pressure precision, one for focus aim (half press) and one to shoot/open camera app (deep press).

What happens when camera app is open and you half press the button? Is the phone using the autofocus feature or directly shoots the photo? If it's the second one, I guess it's an hardware problem.

When the camera app is open the button and app behave as they are ment to, with the two stage system working fine. Still cant really figure out if its hardware or software, but the flashing of the device seems to rule out the software side of things.

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Luleå, Sweden
Have you installed CSSU? The new camera app in CSSU have this feature, but you can turn it off in the settings in the new camera-app

/oxpo

Have not installed CSSU.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
My first guess is that it thinks the lens cover is open, does it ask you to open the lens cover when the camera app open and the lens cover is closed, if not then that is probably it. You can see what it thinks is the state of the lens cover by checking /sys/bus/platform/devices/cam_shutter/state
Code:
cat /sys/bus/platform/devices/cam_shutter/state
It could be that the sensor is broken, but you should also check the back of the lens cover, it has 1 black and 1 white rectangle painted on it and this is what the sensor picks up on as the white rectangle moves over the sensor when the cover is slid open.

The Following User Says Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Sounds more like hardware since OP mentioned even light brushing activiates app.

Suggestion:
Install Shortcutd and set camera focus short press action to launch phone. Less annoying I think.

Pretty sure its no lens cover related as it works fine...no open lens cover message. Ive tried to install shortcutd and map short as well as long press camera button to other commands but it still launches the camera app regardless..

Seems to be both hardware and software related..but the aforementioned flashing on the device seems to rule out the software side of things.

Thanks anyway guys, looks like i gotta take it to nokia if theres no more insight