Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by kralde View Post
It is meego! Confirmed by meego face book!
http://www.facebook.com/openmeego
Originally Posted by jinnn_1989 View Post
its has been confirmed on nokia offical facebook page that this system is meego and not symbian. it has also be confirmed by engadget.com.
That facebook page is not an official MeeGo page, just some fake page someone set up. I know that Engadget links to it, but they have made a mistake. See stskeeps post at http://lists.meego.com/pipermail/mee...ay/004080.html

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
Are you kidding me?
I tell you that there will be updates for this device every six month as long as MeeGo exists and you call MeeGo a deadend OS for Nokia?
There is no MeeGo vendor covenant (despite Stskeeps' attempts), and the Harmattan device will be "MeeGo-compatible", i.e. provide the MeeGo API.

So suggesting that anyone who gets a Harmattan device will be able to run MeeGo updates is a stretch; and even if possible there's still a long way to go before MeeGo's reference UX(es) are anywhere near as polished as Nokia's own (presumably closed source) ones. It only takes one ABI break and the ability to run Nokia's UI over a MeeGo core goes away.

just to be clear: MeeGo is part of "future disruptions". Future disruptions means for Nokia developing potentially ground breaking, world changing devices and test them in real world environments in a smaller scale.
Unfortunately, with Nokia's current management, relying on Nokia for any longterm support or viability is risky at best, and potentially foolish if someone were to base purchasing decisions on it. There've already been hints that "Future Disruptions'" remit is not limited to MeeGo, and that it is expected they'll go and look at other potentially disruptive technologies after the Harmattan programme is launched.

When the device is released, evaluate it on what it can do at that point, what capabilities the community have to enhance it (through apps or CSSU equivalents) and how big the community for it actually is.

Last edited by Jaffa; 2011-05-18 at 10:00. Reason: Typo

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
teasers aint they a waste of money... pause play just to get a quick look..

if only it could run n900 symbian and windows apps o yeah and to be open source...would be the best...i think nokia needs to stick to one source and grow a big community like droid an iphone...

Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
Oh i'd also like the N9/50 to have an app manager that doesn't absolutely suck
Unfortunately I read on here somewhere specifically that the app manager does suck!

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
There've already been hints that "Future Disruptions'" remit is not limited to MeeGo, and that it is expected they'll go and look at other potentially disruptive technologies after the Harmattan programme is launched.
As said, MeeGo is *part* of future disruptions.

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
When the device is released, evaluate it on what it can do at that point, what capabilities the community have to enhance it (through apps or CSSU equivalents) and how big the community for it actually is.
No doubt everyone should do that. Never blindly buy something. My intention wasn't to push anyone to buy that device.
I'm just sick of all that Nokia bashing. Yes they made a decision. Yes, we don't like it.
But did you know most Nokia employees don't like it either and they want MeeGo as success?
So I for my part will go ahead and work with every MeeGo-device I can get. Even if it is from "evil-Nokia".

Also Nokia said clearly to me, that if this device will be a commercial success they of course will continue to push MeeGo.
WP7 will mostly replace Symbian. That's because Nokia does have a problem with delays and buggy software at Symbian. So they need a company making software for them.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
As said, MeeGo is *part* of future disruptions.
...for now.

I'm just sick of all that Nokia bashing. Yes they made a decision. Yes, we don't like it. But did you know most Nokia employees don't like it either and they want MeeGo as success?
Absolutely. And everyone I know at Nokia has my sympathy - I certainly wouldn't have wanted to work there: to go through the elation of my small project was now the basis of Nokia's future strategy, only to have it relegated to a 770/N800-era R&D project.

Last edited by Jaffa; 2011-05-18 at 09:59. Reason: Typo

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Are you kidding me?
I tell you that there will be updates for this device every six month as long as MeeGo exists and you call MeeGo a deadend OS for Nokia?
Are we here in a regular consumer forum? Last time I checked it was still a dev/early adopter/geek forum.

edit: just to be clear: MeeGo is part of "future disruptions". Future disruptions means for Nokia developing potentially ground breaking, world changing devices and test them in real world environments in a smaller scale.
So what do you say to Nokias statement that Meego support will stop June 2012?

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Originally Posted by chrisp7 View Post
That as never been stated publicly as far as I'm aware

The Following User Says Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
Not publicly, but in an internal memo

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04...kia_cuts_memo/

Prob is Nokia burnt everyone's fingers with the N900 and it looks like a similar level of support will be given, however I do love the look of the N9 and OS. Tragic!

Last edited by chrisp7; 2011-05-18 at 09:59.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by chrisp7 View Post
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
Exactly. There were never such a statement. I know that the budget for MeeGo is already planned at the moment for about one year from now on.

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland