Originally Posted by mece View Post
So true, but I'm weak, and one day I want something faster than my N900. There is nothing else out there.
I totally understand. When I had to find a N900 replacement, I'd even buy the N900 again if I could find/afford it. I now have a £100 Blade with Gingerbread, and so far I haven't judged it (The Blade) to be significantly better on ANY point, except price where it rocks. Oh, wait, it's also slimmer.

Last edited by volt; 2011-05-18 at 18:52.

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ York, Pa., USA
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
yes, good point. but no, they were not in development for a long time. it was already 2011 when development started.
OK I've been watching this thread and its time to jump in the pool.

The n900 is my first phone, I was more interested in the inet tablet portion of it) but I fell in love with the over all AWESOMENESS!! Anyway, what is the N9/N950 RM680 going to do that my N900 already doesn't? I won't rehash the hardware debate, and I understand it has a better camera, but here is my point. After 2 years I have my 900 running the apps I want, styled the way I want, updated the way I want. Why go down the same road with a new phone that will "probably" have the same "type" of development cycle.

I know you can't be specific, but I was looking for more its a little newer, a little faster, has a capacitive screen instead of resistive (ouch i love my stylus), and it's silver. Is this the difference between my n900 and this new phone?

Or will you say here are the number of things the N9 can do that the 900 can't?? ...(cleverly worded to dig for info..)

Here is one anyone can answer: Will the new phone run the current Maemo 5 / N900 apps?

Last edited by lorul2; 2011-05-18 at 19:02.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lorul2 For This Useful Post:
anyone knows bout cpu? prolly not.
anyway, no ir = no remote, that would be one + for the N900

Originally Posted by lorul2 View Post
The n900 is my first phone, I was more interested in the inet tablet portion of it) but I fell in love with the over all AWESOMENESS!! Anyway, what is the N9/N950 RM680 going to do that my N900 already doesn't?

(...)

Or will you say here are the number of things the N9 can do that the 900 can't?? ...(cleverly worded to dig for info..)

I am guessing:
+ NFC
+ better navigation.
+ And apparently an icon indicated some better/more official support for some TV-related stuff. Don't know if it's web TV or TV-out or screen saver that has a TV-like icon for no apparent reason.

Edit:
really too early to tell, though.

The nice thing about the N900 is that it can do much more than a sandboxed phone. The difference in that lays in the fact that you will be able to compile new N900 applications from existing Linux software for years to come.

Nomatter what the next gen phone is, you can't take that away from the N900. You did your research well. The N900 is an irreplaceable product at this time, and the N9 seems to be an overlapping product more than a worthy successor.

Last edited by volt; 2011-05-18 at 19:02. Reason: poor pre-posting editing skills

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Great... No Xenon flash

Back to the crappy Dual LED rubbish that just ends up leaving a load of white noise on one side of the photo

Looks good otherwise, hopefully itll come in black and other colours

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

the N9 seems like a try too hard to being and iphone and android phone and not exactly what am looking for. its trying to appeal to the masses

Well... Step 5 was always supposed to be mass market. I think.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by volt View Post
For me, this is a few months too late.
I probably would have bought it if it was available before Qt's Black Friday, February 11th, or even better, before February 9th, when Incompetence Incorporated leaked his plan to burn down Nokia.

Pros:
+ Good OS
+ Good hardware

Cons:
- No stylus
- Stephen Elop (deal breaker)

I'd reconsider, probably even buy, if there turned out to be a stylus inside there somewhere.
So you decide to not buy it cause Elop is biggest Idiot at Nokia? Personally I hope everyone buys it and it success. Then Elop gets kicked and Nokia says: "Well WP7 is a burning platform so we decided to go Meego instead"

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Here is one anyone can answer: Will the new phone run the current Maemo 5 / N900 apps?

I know this has been answered better before, but I don't know where, my search button is orange

Qt based N900 applications: for sure. Ported Linux applications should mostly be recompilable, I would think. Non-open applications like Nokia applications, Flash, Skype: probably not unless through some hack or virtualization.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
[...]
The N900 can do almost anything but here are a few things it has problems with:
- For some reason the N900 can't accomplish the feat of having a larger screen than that of the N900.
- Most N900's seem to be unable to have more ram then the N900.
- My N900, for some reason, have not been able to have have a built in 4 row keyboard.
- N900's in general can't do the special "I have hdmi out" dance.
- The N900 really sucks at not having an fmtx. (The Greek ones tried, but failed)

Sersiously though, I look at this like upgrading a pc hardware and installing a new release of the OS. I expect similar features, but stuff works better and faster

[Disclaimer: Most of the stuff listed may or may not be featured in the N9/50]
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland