Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I wonder where abil_uk got his law degree? Anyway, I don't think Nokia has specifically announced they were extending the warranty period for the usb problem -- but I haven't heard otherwise, either. Probably the exact situation is different depending on the laws in the country where you bought the N900.
Strongly suggest you have a word with Texrat as he has done probably the most of anyone about this problem and also if you look at the now famous usb thread you will see many many incidences of replacement due to design problems that Nokia have now recognised officially thanks mainly to the work of Texrat.

Dont need a law degree i just follow procedure and guidlines like anyone else so maybe YOU need to read some aye.

I am confused on the 2 year warranty for USA this may or may not be the case for the states but it is certainly true for the UK.

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ New York, NY
Thanks to everyone for their replies. I have been reading through bits of the "original" USB thread, but I haven't found a mention of getting repairs post warranty without paying.

I've called customer service, and they are explicit about the phone needing to be under warranty. I'm waiting to call back back and complain some more because "all of the managers are in a meeting."

I've read that EU laws require a two year warranty, but I don't think that's the same here...

Need to be careful about the differences between US and European legislation, warranty doesn't mean much in the EU, a TV with a 1 year warranty that packs up after two years would need repairs at no cost by the manufacturer (manufactures warranty) purely based on the fact that other TV's easily last more than 2 years. Therefore a more general warranty for a TV in the UK would probably be around 5 years.

A known fault makes it ten times worse and has to be acknowledged and repaired by the manufacturer.

No idea about laws in the US I'm afraid... Look online though, a year is a bit unfair

In the US you typically have a 1 year warranty with phones unless you pay for an extended warranty. I tried to get nokia to cover my usb port because my phone was only about a month out of warranty but I had no luck.

Posts: 446 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Lake District, Cumbria, UK
Yes it is a 2 year warranty. the broken usb is still covered for free repair from nokia.
(just noticed above post ....uk is 2 years...did not know usa was only 1 year.)

I am also post-warranty and the usb port is broken. The port is still in the phone and I brought it to a local phone repair store and they said they could not do it as the pins are off the motherboard.
abill_uk, I have seen in the other long thread that you mentioned that it is always possible to fix it. Would it possible to have instructions on how to do that (the steps and the gear that is required)? Or would it be possible to send it off to you?

I have found this other thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=54762 but before I had to attempt the repair myself I found another local shop that managed to fix it !

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Melbourne
Originally Posted by jmc8501 View Post

I've had an N900 for a little more then a year, and.....
I recently had the same issue with my USB becoming disconnected. I thought that I was out of the warranty period, but as this was the 2nd N900 I had purchased, it was still covered.

Thinking I was out of the warranty period, I rang Nokia to see what my options were, and to my surprise they offered me the option of an extended warranty.

I'm not sure they will always do this, but they are more likely to if you are JUST outside your warranty period.

Good luck anyway and hope it gets fixed without too much bother.

The Following User Says Thank You to zaksloan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by LTman View Post
@geneven what is the color of the sky
Good question! That line is the first line of Stephen Crane's The Open Boat, and it's my favorite first line in all literature I've read. And I'm a Stephen Crane fan in general. You can get the story online for free and decide for yourself. Presumably, it's a stormy sky, but no one is looking up because they are facing death from the sea.

By the way, not everyone has a one or two year warranty. I got mine straight from Nokia for a special price, and to add to the specialness they made it a one week warranty. Weird, right? Anyway, I use an external charger and haven't had the problem, though I think it's just a matter of time because I think all the N900s are defective in this regard, so in less you are some kind of gentleness maniac, it will happen to everyone.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post

I am confused on the 2 year warranty for USA this may or may not be the case for the states but it is certainly true for the UK.
So I guess you are wrong for stating definitively that the poster's N900 is under warranty, unless you happen to know that he is from the UK. The only hope, it seems to me, is to persuade some court that the flaw in the N900 is so basic that it amounts to a general flaw in all N900s so all users have a right to a replacement even if it's out of warranty because it was clearly defective when sold.

Unlike you, I have no special legal insights so I am not sure what the result of a court battle would be in the US, whereas your common sense is no doubt international in scope.

I don't need to talk to Texrat about this, but he would not hesitate to wade in if he thinks I am wrong about something, and I always welcome being proven wrong.

Texrat himself got two replacement N900s out of this problem, and I wonder about the state of HIS warranty when he got them; I think he got the replacements because he is Texrat, not because he was entitled to them.

As usual, any corrections from the peanut gallery are welcome.

By the way, looking back on the OP's message, it appears to me that he is from New York, which is no longer a colony, but you may not realize that. In other words, he is from the US, and probably has only a one-year warranty, and your statement that his N900 is still under warranty is probably 100% wrong.

Last edited by geneven; 2011-05-19 at 17:06.