Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
What if they only made like 1000 of these dev mode and can't rpoduce anymore??
Why can't they? Having or not having hardware keyboard has nothing to do with whether user is a developer or not. It's nonsense. Some prefer tactile response from hardware buttons (especially those who type a lot). Others consider touch screen sufficient for most needs. There always will be both categories of users. The approach of "I know what's better for you" is not respectful at all.

Last edited by shmerl; 2011-05-22 at 21:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by law138 View Post
I have the e7. The reason is because of the body and the keyboard to me its one of the best looking phones if not the best thats why i fell in love with the n950 its better looking then the e7.
I agree that the e7 is very pretty but design and build quality costs the same for every high-end phone made! So the fact that this phone is better looking isn't suppose to effect the pricing unless they use tungsten or gold to make it.

I had the privilege to try both the Milestone 2 and the Desire Z. Both keyboards are up to par. those phones are much cheaper and more powerful. Design varies with taste.

The Following User Says Thank You to ironm8 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Why can't they? Having or not having hardware keyboard has nothing to do with whether user is a developer or not. It's nonsense. Some prefer tactile response from hardware buttons. Others consider touch screen sufficient for most needs. There always will be both categories of users. The approach of "I know what's better for you" is not respectful at all.
Thats actually has a very valid reason.
If they feel that this phone has some kind of a defect or they feel it completely lacks in commercial ability....then they have to keep this phone amongst devs only.

Why? because of support line. If they sell those to everyone they need to invest in resources to start supporting that hardware.
I guess that anyone who will buy one of those will have to sign a disclaimer that will free them from any problem. Hence, you're on your own.

I guess deal with MS requires them to make it lack in commercial ability. But who is to blame here?

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Why can't they? Having or not having hardware keyboard has nothing to do with whether user is a developer or not. It's nonsense. Some prefer tactile response from hardware buttons (especially those who type a lot). Others consider touch screen sufficient for most needs. There always will be both categories of users. The approach of "I know what's better for you" is not respectful at all.
There was a rumour a while back (in March or maybe Feb) that the carriers rejected the N9 due to the slider/hinge being too flimsy, if this is the same phone would it be worth while for Nokia to make more if they can't get the carriers to sell it?

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
I can only assume the production line for the dev model was shutdown long time ago. (maybe over 6 months ago)
Just think of it as dumping old stock.

btw, that approach of "I know what's better for you" worked wodners for Apple. Now they are one of the biggest companies in the world.

But I highly doubt Nokia will market this phone like it's their next big thing due to involvement with Microsoft.
So unless it is truly revolutionary that every mum&dad and granma will buy and use, it's going to be another N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Koajwujwer123 View Post
No , sorry
Maybe you could say if it got a great camera like N8 or is it just a standard 8MP?

Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
btw, that approach of "I know what's better for you" worked wodners for Apple. Now they are one of the biggest companies in the world.
Very well may be, it still doesn't make it respectful and doesn't promote respecting them in return

Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
There was a rumour a while back (in March or maybe Feb) that the carriers rejected the N9 due to the slider/hinge being too flimsy, if this is the same phone would it be worth while for Nokia to make more if they can't get the carriers to sell it?
Every design can have a flaw. So why can't Nokia do BAU, review what's wrong, improve, produce and etc? But again, the shadow of the Dark Empire is over the whole thing, so Nokia isn't eager to pour resources into it I guess.

Last edited by shmerl; 2011-05-22 at 22:15.

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
@Koajwujwer123 or zehjotkah

Could you please answer at least some of my questions? I'm very curious (well, everyone is. lol) and wouldn't mind some clarifications based on what you already know without blatantly breaking any NDA.

What I can gather so far of the consumer N9:
1. It is NOT OMAP3 with SGX530 like the N900. If it was, even at 1GHz, it won't be able to do 720p @ 30fps video recording/playback. (SGS1/iPhone4 has Cortex A8 but has a more powerful SGX535 and it can do 720p no issues however) So maybe N9 will have U8500/Intel Atom/Cortex A8 + SGX535+.

2. It doesn't have 720p resolution LCD. I'm still holding on to the straw but I will be very happy with qHD resolution still. As long as it's higher than WVGA, I'm happy.

3. Is that some swipe sensor on the back of the phone in that last part of the video with the blue dots???

4. It has a worse / lower resolution camera module than the dev phone. (I think it was zehjotkah who said dev model had similar sensor as N8. But Koajwujwer123 confirmed that on his N9-consumer, it has 8MP AF camera)

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Sorry, I won't comment on any rumors anymore.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland