Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
HDMI out is a minus factor for me, unless it has TV out via a 3.5mm jack too...

Why is HDMI out a minus?
Its the new standard, it should be a bonus. I think you can get adaptors that plug into HDMI and convert to VGA or even RGB if your die-hard about it.

The original Galaxy S (i9000) and its variants (Epic, Captivate, Vibrant, Fascinate, Brazil, i9003) all have TV out through the headphone jack like the Nokia N95, so that will suit you.

Did you haggle for a Desire Z/T-mobile G2 ?

Posts: 249 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ United Kingdom
2nd hand N900 then... is there really another smartphone out that that can match or better the Nokia N900. I very much doubt it!

Why did you send your N900 to the shop? What was wrong with it? Why can't they give you an N900 in return?
My Nokia N900 is my website, still up an running for the Maemo community. My Nokia N900 is upgraded to 21.2011.38-1Tmaemo1.1 ~ CSSU ready ~ Overclocked ~ Speed patched ~ Swappolube ~ was running 7 desktops ~ 270 apps and counting ~ Multi-Boot with Standard Kernel , Kernel Power 2.6.28.10power47 and NITDroid N12 "UMay".

It's looking that way... I started to have USB port issues, didn't stop working entriely buy I had to put pressure on the connector in order for it to charge/ stay connected.

@Kangal: I know HDMI is the new standard, but my TV doesn't have it, and I'm not planning on upgrading at any point soon..

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Did you haggle for a Desire Z/T-mobile G2 ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRzyk_gw0a0

Ridge racer runs sloooow.....

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Atlanta
Originally Posted by Tedri Mark View Post
HARDWARE
TV Out - the galaxy has this via 3.5mm jack same as n900. The n8 has hdmi out which is all well and good but my TV has no HDMI connector...

Processor - which is going to be faster for the stuff I do?

Memory - again, steps backwards - the n8 has 16mb and the i9000 has either 8gb or 16gb (or 32 gb?) both upgradeable with memory cards.

Screen size/Resolution - n8 has 3.5" 640 x 360 and the i9000 has 800 x 480 (that's more like it!)

Camera - 12mp on the n8 vs 5 mp on the i9000, but does it really make that much of a difference through a tiny lens? (seems like it does: http://www.blog-n8.fr/tests/comparat...s-i9000-02175/)

Did I miss anything?
1: TV OUT: The N8 does TV via the 3.5 jack AND HDMI

2: Processor, though the N8 is 680Mhz, the OS is GPU accelerated by the Braodcom GPU that does 32 Million polys per second.

3. Memory, the N8 has 16GB built in, you can order one from Nokia.com that has 32GB (16 built in with a 16GB card) for 1 dollar more than the one without, or bring your own 32GB card to the table.

4. Resolution: Yes the N8 has lower resolution but the screen is of such a high quality that it beats most other screens in clarity and color. I own a N900, HTC G2 and N8 and even with the lower res, the N8 screen wins in visibility, durability and color.

5. Camera: If you care about pictures and video at all, the N8 wins hands down AND the N8 has the LARGEST camera sensor of any phone, even larger than most point and shoot cameras, coupled with a real carl zeiss lens and the most advanced imaging software. Wait until you see the digital zoom for video. The N8 still beats phones from 2011. Here is a recent comparison:

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Sa...parison_id2744

NEGATIVES:

Application Selection. If you LOVE apps, go to Android. Symbian^3 has some of the same HD games and apps but Android is more americanized so you will have many apps that people and the media crave. That is just the truth. The N8 loses on that one. I have the latest HD games for my G2 yet my N8 has early 2011 HD games.

Application loading/installing lags:

Symbian^3 lags at times (as does EVERY OS) but this is usually dealling with installing or launching certain apps.

Web: GET THIS STRAIGHT: NOTHING COMPARES TO MICROB. Nothing. You will lose the gestures and everything. The android web browser is better than the stock symbian^3 browser. Truth. There is opera for Symbain^3 and it is fantastic, yet without flash. Even with Flash 10.3 on Android, it is still a Mobile Web Browser and not a destop browser like Microb.

Conclusion:

If less application lag (NOT UI LAG), more apps, but WORSE hardware Go Android. The Android ecosystem is more active. Sure, the device itself may not be top notch but you cannot deny the driving force behind Android.

If apps are less important (like Pandora) but the best hardware and best camera (intelligent digital zoom for the win). Go for the N8. It is also a great media player with dual TV out (3.5 AND HDMI) and Dual charging (mini pin AND micro USB) and USB OTG Nothing beats the quality and value of the N8.

Finally, I have no problems with push email on either devices. You NEED a gmail account with Android, with Symbian^3, you don't need anything, though I would advise using your Ovi account as it logs in for the whole device.

I'll write more later...time for lunch!

Last edited by Deaconclgi; 2011-05-23 at 14:59.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Deaconclgi For This Useful Post:
Out of the blue, just got a call from carphone warehouse, my phone has been fixed!

Just collected it to discover it's covered in scratches all, over the screen..

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Atlanta
Aww... Did you let them know about the scratches? That is one problem that you wont have to worry about with the n8 due to it's thick gorilla glass screen. Oh and all gorilla glass is not made the same. As usual, Nokia uses a higher grade gg than competitors.

I hope CW acknowledges the damage.

Wasn't exactly pristine when I left it with them, but that's not the point...

Complain about it ... its not going to cost anything. They'll replace the screen to a brand new one. If not they will hand you out a brand new N900, or let you choose "a similar device" (like I said Epic 4G/Desire Z are better choices than the N8).

If you dont you'll be stuck with a scratched N900

---------------
Originally Posted by Tedri Mark View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRzyk_gw0a0

Ridge racer runs sloooow.....
Actually that seems to be running on a bad custom rom, that probably has several demanding apps running in the background and with an early release of psx4droid.

If you try the stock rom or a custom rom with correct drivers/kernel, and don't have much running in the background you should see an immediate improvement. In fact, forget that just grab a late version of FPSE (a port from the Windows Mobile PSX emulator) and it will run ~fullspeed. And if your still not happy with 60fps, just overclock it to 1.1GHz xP

(here's it running quite fast on a much slower Desire S)

Last edited by Kangal; 2011-05-24 at 08:43.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post: