Poll: Nokia to release the Maemo Source Code.
Poll Options
Nokia to release the Maemo Source Code.

Closed Thread
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
As everyone knows now Nokia have more or less ABANDONED the N900 and now it really IS down to this community to further any future development.

This thread is self explanitory to make an online Petition to get Nokia release the full source code of the Maemo OS for our N900.

I will devote my time to further development only if i have the original source code available to me, i am no way going to stab in the dark with this as the CSSU team are, working almost blind with all the closed components, quite frankly they will do a hell of a lot better armed with the full source code of the Maemo OS.

Everyone who would like to see Maemo further developed please leave a post in agreement for Nokia to release fully the Maemo Source Code for the N900.
Can you point out what in MaemoOS that is closed?

Would be intresting too know what were talking about here?

Cause when saying "MaemoOS" to me MaemoOS is drivers, UI and corelibs. Some drivers is "thirdparty" so dont expect Nokia can release them. (Like TI GFX driver)

So if we want TI open the driver we have to ask them instead. Also this goes for AdobeFlash (but totally oftopic to MaemoOS imho)

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by N900L View Post
they didnt support the n900
the ovi store is empty. the app manager is full.
and now they are releasing meego for developers only.
and why?
so n900 users develop for other mobiles.
99% of the support is from the community and 1% from nokia.
i think they should release the source code as they dont support the n900.
thanks to the community support the N900 is a great device.
And what will you personally do with the sources?

Personally I think there is many who complains but how many have actually tried Meego on N900? The most opensource project that is more opensource than Maemo AFAIK?

Dont get me wrong but as I see it will not help the situation that much.

Just my...

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Brazil
Just my 2 cents. I'm not knowledgeable in the issue, but I think we are lacking something here.

- It's not "poisoning the well". Since it's closed, we can't say for sure how strategical the closed source code really is - maybe it's STILL used in some level in other or future devices, since lot of what they do could be re-usable in some way;

- there's no social obligation on releasing a single bit of the code. They made it, it's theirs, they have all the right to delete it forever. And the N900 is well beyond it's live cycle, so no obligation here, either. I can understand the need for it, to keep Maemo itself alive, but the N900 argument doesn't really cut it alone. And MeeGo OS code is there to cover for a linux-based mobile OS.

- mobile technolgy, as far I know, involves a LOT of cross-licensing. Several parts of those pkgs must have tech licensed from another companies in some level. maybe Nokia doesn't even know how much of the code is really "compromised" by it, and will not spend the resources to comb through it and submit to legal for check afterwards.

- Whatever is closed now, is really that important, unreplaceable or isn't becoming open in a way or another through MeeGo?

Last edited by Verythrax; 2011-05-25 at 19:50.

I voted yes. As far as I'm concerned, Nokia have nothing to loose as I will never buy another Nokia product with the current Microsoft agreement in place. However, I would really like my N900 to remain useful for as long as possible.

On the reverse engineering point raised earlier, I have absolutely no issues (Moral or quality related.) using any reverse engineered packages the community have already released or may release in the future.

The Following User Says Thank You to rich c For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
great idea! why didnt someone think of this before? oh wait

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=55450
Funny how there were 12 people voting no then, and there is 12 people voting no now.

Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
In the history of the internet, a petition has never accomplished anything,

ever.
That's why we need Anonymous to hack into Nokia and release the code for us!! :P lol

Last edited by IsaacDFP; 2011-05-25 at 20:46.

The Following User Says Thank You to IsaacDFP For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
For good measure as I see a lot of confusion.. you people do know that several Nokians and subcontractors is paid and employed to work on N900 DE? We work in the open as to enable everyone to contribute and help out with DE.

We do have access to all sources we need to make N900 DE work and we work to publish all hardware support things we need in some form, but legal checks takes times and sometimes it will be redistributable binaries instead of sources. Redistribution means you can make your own DE images and legally redistribute them. Sometimes getting things to work outside Maemo just takes times.

How about we spend time making sure we have a device we can make do our bidding as we like, customize even without big technical knowledge, instead of asking to release source code that is dead and already rotten.

Long story short, contribute to MeeGo N900 DE. Who wants to work on dead-end unreadable source that can be rewritten in QML and Python in 3 days?

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
finally the voice of reason arrives!

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Valencia (Spain)
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post

We do have access to all sources we need to make N900 DE work and we work to publish all hardware support things we need in some form, but legal checks takes times and sometimes it will be redistributable binaries instead of sources. Redistribution means you can make your own DE images and legally redistribute them. Sometimes getting things to work outside Maemo just takes times.

How about we spend time making sure we have a device we can make do our bidding as we like, customize even without big technical knowledge, instead of asking to release source code that is dead and already rotten.

Long story short, contribute to MeeGo N900 DE. Who wants to work on dead-end unreadable source that can be rewritten in QML and Python in 3 days?
Well, at this moment Meego needs a lot of work to be usable on the N900. Maemo 5 is working OK thanks to this community.
Taking into consideration the Nokia+Microsoft alliance, do you expect a brilliant future for Megoo?

If yes, please, arguments. I like the Meego architecture and Qt.

Àngel

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by aperles View Post
Well, at this moment Meego needs a lot of work to be usable on the N900. Maemo 5 is working OK thanks to this community.
Taking into consideration the Nokia+Microsoft alliance, do you expect a brilliant future for Megoo?

If yes, please, arguments. I like the Meego architecture and Qt.

Àngel
1. Our DE activity continued after feb11, draw your own conclusions from there
2. MeeGo is a fantastic lean and mean Qt stack. Very flexible.
3. Try out the SF2011 DE release. Considering we worked two months only with a limited team, we improved things quite a lot.

We mostly work on basic features, call, sms, browser and hardware adaptation to be really solid and working. While i say 'basic', these are the most dificult parts of a phone OS. Now that the hard stuff is mostly out of the picture, it is a big playground for you to help build things in.

Imagine how well it could be working if you contributed too.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
1. Our DE activity continued after feb11, draw your own conclusions from there
2. MeeGo is a fantastic lean and mean Qt stack. Very flexible.
3. Try out the SF2011 DE release. Considering we worked two months only with a limited team, we improved things quite a lot.

We mostly work on basic features, call, sms, browser and hardware adaptation to be really solid and working. While i say 'basic', these are the most dificult parts of a phone OS. Now that the hard stuff is mostly out of the picture, it is a big playground for you to help build things in.

Imagine how well it could be working if you contributed too.
Please remember this is not a thread for advertising your product it is actually about Maemo the os of the N900.

You have not talked once of the hard work the CSSU team have put into Maemo.

Closed Thread

Tags
current, daddys ketchup, flog dead horse, give him, just shoot me, must not say no, no argue ok, play nice, situation, yes or highway