Active Topics

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
So, I've been thinking. The browser on the N900 is equivalent to the old Firefox 3.5. Since microb-engine is open-source (and for some reason, the UI isn't), is it possible for someone to package an updated replacement for the engine? A lot's been done between 3.5 and 4.0, and I think it's time we got our upgrade. You can disable the same stuff in the build environment using a mozconfig, so hopefully we can get better performance than Fennec.

BTW, Fennec for Maemo is still slow. Very, very slow. I'd rather watch the checkerboard pattern in microb than watch Fennec switch tabs.

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Russia, Moscow
I'm sure it's a titanic job: cut xulrunner out of 4.0, keep conversations, ovi sign-on and ovi maps compatibility, make it being polite to the watchdog (not sure if that's a problem), etc...

As far as I know, browser engine switching was easy in Maemo 4, there was a package for that, maybe you'd try to take a look at its source? But for sure that's kind of an incomplete workaround for us and I don't see any big difference from Browser Switchboard in Maemo 5.

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Yeah, the amount of work it'd take to make it work with all of the proprietary applications depending on it (plus, probably deprecated/removed crap from FF4) would be a nightmare. Would be great to see it though, probably as part of the CSSU.