Is it worth getting a 1 or 2GB memory card for it? would the extra memory on the MMC help increase browsing speed by storing temp files/pictures/buffer memory and stuff? also is it regular RS-MMC or Dual Vaoltage?

or is the memory cars mainly used for MP3s, applications and photos?

i'm getting mine tomorrrow, so im super excited!

Is it worth getting the Bluetooth Nokia keyboard for it to use it for writing emails and posting on message boards? and finally does the 770 or the BT keyboad have a stand so i can fit the 770 on it so that it doesnt have to lay flat on it's back when i type using the keyboard?

your feedback back is highly appreciated!

EDIT: what is the latest firmware for the 7700, and where can i get it from? i ordered mine from the U.S but will be using it in the UAE(united Arab Emirates) ....Nokia did not release the 770 in the UAE for some odd reason.

thanks!

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Niles IL...Chicago born and raised.
Marwan,

Welcome to the forum, it's a GREAT resource for up-to-date information, tips, hacks, and general chat about the 770. There are quite a few out there, but I personally think this is one of the nicest sites for it. Look around the forum, you'll learn a TON.

I'm still trying to find 2GB RS-MMC cards. Let me know where you found them.

As far as the memory helping out, it all depends, are you willing to enable root, then extend the filesystem? If so, yes, it does help a lot from what I've read. The card can be used to store the actual file system and in turn make the 770 have more memory for it's apps, swap, etc. Along with that you can use it to store files (media included).

As far as the Nokia BT kb goes, I wouldn't know what to tell ya. I personally was looking into getting the Freedom Mini Keyboard, which is a little thumb kb.

The 770 does come with a stand of it's own, wich works well for what it is in my opinion.

Last edited by uNtouched; 2006-02-24 at 13:48.

Originally Posted by marwan
Is it worth getting a 1 or 2GB memory card for it? would the extra memory on the MMC help increase browsing speed by storing temp files/pictures/buffer memory and stuff? also is it regular RS-MMC or Dual Vaoltage?

or is the memory cars mainly used for MP3s, applications and photos?
Both. You can set up the card to extend the files system onto the card where the 770 sees it as one big disk. You can also set up a swap file on the card (although it will wear out the card quicker) so that the 770 will see the swap file as "extra ram". As to card size, the only difference is how much multimedia you do. Movies and songs are all that you could really justify a 2gig for.

Is it worth getting the Bluetooth Nokia keyboard for it to use it for writing emails and posting on message boards? and finally does the 770 or the BT keyboad have a stand so i can fit the 770 on it so that it doesnt have to lay flat on it's back when i type using the keyboard?
It comes with a stand. The keyboard is an opinion thing. The handwriting recognition sucks so if you plan to do much text entry I would say it is a useful thing.

EDIT: what is the latest firmware for the 7700, and where can i get it from? i ordered mine from the U.S but will be using it in the UAE(united Arab Emirates) ....Nokia did not release the 770 in the UAE for some odd reason.

thanks!
go to maemo.org and you will find all the details. I would imagine yours will ship with the latest firmware. And besides they've promised a new release of the OS in first quarter 2006 so by the time it makes it to you they should be dropping another OS (assuming they are on schedule).

The Following User Says Thank You to djs_tx For This Useful Post:
great thanks for the help guys!

uNtouched, i havent seen any 2GB RS-MMC around, i was just assuming they are available, if not, i'll just get the 1GB card. does the 770 accept regular RS-MMC or DV like most new Nokia phones?

also, there is an onscreen keyboard to type instead of having to use the BT keyboard or the hand recognition, right?

thanks again!

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Niles IL...Chicago born and raised.
It will accept both DV and non-DV.

Yes there is also an On-Screen Keyboard along with a handwriting recognition area...which you will find to be less than useful.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I thought (and believe me, I could be wrong), that the upper limit for the RSMMC form factor was 1GB.

Any searches online for "2GB RSMMC" have yielded '2GB RSMMC' in the page title but max sizes of 1GB.

*edit: From an outdated forum:

"As memory manufacturers learn to make smaller and smaller chips, the capacity of memory cards will grow as they can fit more memory in the same physical space.

The MMC/RS-MMC interface allows 32-bit addressing so 4.3GB at least is possible. If they introduce bank-switching like Sony has done with some MemoryStick models, even this isn't a limitation."

does the 770 accept regular RS-MMC or DV like most new Nokia phones?
Marwan, I answered this on mobile burn when you asked the first time

The n770 accepts both DV and normal RSMMC

also, there is an onscreen keyboard to type instead of having to use the BT keyboard or the hand recognition, right?
Yes you can use the virtual keyboard, in fact thats my personal favourite for entering text. When you use the autocomplete functions you can type at a fair speed. I find the handwriting recognition to cumbersome.

Originally Posted by Moby
Marwan, I answered this on mobile burn when you asked the first time

The n770 accepts both DV and normal RSMMC

Yes you can use the virtual keyboard, in fact thats my personal favourite for entering text. When you use the autocomplete functions you can type at a fair speed. I find the handwriting recognition to cumbersome.

Hey Moby, good to see you around here buddy! sorry i got alot replies from mobileburn and mobilereviews that i forgot what MMC the 770 accepts...silly me!

anyways, i went out and bought myself a 1GB RS-MMC(DV).

and yep, 2GB aint available yet well.

thanks guys!

I just got my 770 yesterday and im soeechless, surfing the net on the 770 is simpley incredible, the UI was easy to use, overall great little device. My only complanit is that the email client could have been better looking to say the least.

anyways, 2 questions:

- what kind of plug-ins can i download for the browser? and where can i get them from?

-Since i bought my 770 from amazon.com USA, it naturally came with a U.S power supply that requires 120v, in the UAE we use 240v(like europe), so im running it through a transformer to charge it which is ok. but i have plenty of Nokia nokia charges at home and i want to use those instead of having to carry the transformer with me everywhere i go.

UAE power supply reads: Output DC 5.7V/800mA
USA power supply reads: Output DC 5.0/890mA

so my question is, can i use the local(UAE) charger, or is that gonna fry my 770?

You'll find that most Nokia chargers are not the right size connector. The 770 uses a smaller barrel connector than the standard one Nokia has been shipping for years.

Nokia does sell an adapter, part #CA-44.

As I have looked at my Nokia chargers, I have found a variety of voltages from 3.7 to 5.7 Volts. You should be fine with the adapter and any standard Nokia charger.

David