Active Topics

While WP7 clearly was more ready than MeeGo - MeeGo has a public roadmap and handsets were ment to be behind tablets all the way - this is all irrelevant.

Because Nokia didn't sign up to use Windows Phone 7. They are going to use Windows Phone 8. Windows Phone 8 isn't ready.

I don't think there will be an antitrust case against Microsoft buying Nokia. Microsoft isn't a big contender in the cell phone industry, so there will be no monopoly situation. Also, EU allowed things like the Nokia + Siemens merger, etc.

Originally Posted by volt View Post
Because Nokia didn't sign up to use Windows Phone 7. They are going to use Windows Phone 8. Windows Phone 8 isn't ready.
The first Nokia Windows Phones will quite certainly be WP 7.5.

the conspiracy theories are now moving beyond the sublime and into the absurd.

put down the weed fellas!

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Stonik View Post
I can't help wondering how the whole situation is being described in the article. It's like a bad act of a local summer theater.

These two guys are the CEO and Chief Development Officer of the world's largest handset manucacturer, and one could imagine they always know the latest news and development status of the company's most important operating system project - MeeGo. But not in this case, as they describe it. They just get a whitepaper marked with different colors in January, and all of a sudden they both realize that MeeGo isn't going to be ready.

Come on. If this really is true, how come Öistämö still works as a CDO in Nokia? He's the one who should constantly know every single bit of the latest process, when it comes to MeeGo.

Either this is just a badly written story to make MS partnership look better, or really, really bad management.

I go on Bad managment. Big companys always loose control and thats what has happened to Nokia.

This has been discussed before and there where people leave the Nokia ship long before Mr Elop entered the ship.

Maemo could have gone way faster progress if they got resources. I guess one reason it slowed down was when Nokia bought Qt 2008. Its now 2011 it first now Qt is stable enought on Symbian and Maemo/Meego. That means Maemo6 couldnt be stable until recently. This is the facts. We cant blame Elop or Microsoft for this.

Another thing that did slow down progress on Maemo is merge with Moblin. This is still not fully done as we all know. Now everyone seems to blame Nokia for this? but I am sure there is two sides of that too.

So maybe the only solution in short run IS WP. I still hope on Maemo or Meego in Nokia land and I think it is possible not as mainos but as an complement. Asiancountrys prefer Linux and dislike Microsoft. Nokia want to sell well in this countrys too.

And if the new phone Maemo sells well they cant just dish it cause then stockholders would not trust Nokia and they loose even more.

I am the one who also said Microsoft will buy Nokia 2013. But if we think about it what the HELL would Microsoft winning on buy Nokia!?

Cause if they do they cant sell any WP licenses to any other hw company?

There also is another thing: Just heard that Nokia will have its own "AppStore". If Microsoft would buy Nokia why the hell is they allowed to setup theyr own store? Its

I see it in another way. Microsoft is more desperate than Nokia too get the damn Wp to success! Thats why they need Nokia. They need a big trusted COmpany that sells alot of WP phones and then other manufactors will follow.

Not because they will buy Nokia.

I think Maemo will still continue inside Nokia. Hopefully we will see one device atleas one per year or two years intrerval. And thats totally okey imho. Personally I dont give a **** if it will be mainstream as long as it is supported in some way.

I yes I know there is stupid rumors about Meego will be killed at Nokia 2012 but I dont give a **** about those stupid rumors possible payed rumors by Apple or Google... (To make the stock even more shaky for Nokia)

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-06-03 at 10:56.

They have a history of making changes in other industries in just one year/windows version. I.e. the media player industry, the one where they did get sued for abusing market power. Or firewall industry, who use ZoneAlarm any more? Word Perfect? They're quite successful in software, if only because they try a lot of different markets. Like Google, they try stuff and some is very successful while some is closed down. They would be attempting to be so in the cell phone market too.

However, it's no monopoly to complain about until they at least get above 4% market share :B So, this could still go the way of the Kin. :B

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hamburg
Elop worked always at companies with proprietary software. Adobe, Juniper, M$. He is suspicious about OSS.

Ditching meego was only a logical step for him, I think.

The Following User Says Thank You to mbo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
And this anti-Linux stuff, MS as a company may be, but Elop not only said that he told Nokia employees he wants them to get to work developing something that will change the mobile market and make Apple, Android and even the MS deal insignificant, he even took the interviewer around that section of the company to show current innovations like a phone that still works submerged in water.
Not sure how much of an "innovation" this is. My current 5 year old phone can take calls under water...voice quality sucks though.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by tkatchev View Post
You must be joking, or on crack.
It was a joke. Sadly, you forgot that I wasn't talking about Maemo. I was talking about MeeGo. Maemo as you're discussing it is basically dead. Has been since February 2010 when Nokia announced they were going to MeeGo alongside Intel. Remember?

Maemo is also released, as is Harmattan. Maemo also sold massively better than WP7.
3.7 million for Microsoft WP7. Horrible numbers. Now, produce the numbers for Maemo 5. I'm willing to bet it was less.

WP7 is the worst-selling mobile OS of them all.
I'd venture to say that Maemo 5 was a lesser seller than WP7 by only one reason... Maemo 5 was sold only on one product. Ever.

WP7 is a horrible seller, I won't argue that. Makes you wonder why Nokia/Elop went towards it, now doesn't it?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
the conspiracy theories are now moving beyond the sublime and into the absurd.

put down the weed fellas!
Perhaps it is you who should put down the weed, sir!

As absurd as "Nokia will never drop Maemo" and "Nokia will never drop MeeGo"? I remember reading about how absurd that was.

Please, continue the petty bickering. I am most amused.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Tags
bada blows, buysomethinelse, good move, goodbye nokia, wp7 rocks