Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
Okay. But I think that is really interesting.
To everyone:
Do you prefer an "open information" model like we saw at the Open Pandora Project, with all its dissapointments and delays or do you prefer a "top secret" model like we see it today with Nokia and their Harmattan Device?
Open information is very nice (you can get good feedback), but only if you keep all of the promises and hyping to a minimum.

The Following User Says Thank You to south87 For This Useful Post:
To everyone:
Do you prefer an "open information" model like we saw at the Open Pandora Project, with all its dissapointments and delays or do you prefer a "top secret" model like we see it today with Nokia and their Harmattan Device?
Well top secret is the best as you get so excited when you then see it and then you should be able to buy it within 1 month. At the same time it is quite frustrating to have a feeling that the device is so delayed that it will be out-dated :P

The Following User Says Thank You to Lullen For This Useful Post:
honestly, I'd love to build über-smartphones above the 2000€ pricetag. But I don't have the money for that currently and I think it's very difficult because of all the patents...
which patents??

zeh

I agree with rest of the people. If they want to pre order they can make their mind by learning more about the device.

The Following User Says Thank You to aikon800 For This Useful Post:
joking of course I hope you do not be hurt

The Following User Says Thank You to viic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shady View Post
which patents??
GSM and 3G towards nokia and various others

The Following User Says Thank You to somedude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
another patent:
nice touchscreen technologies... #justsayin

edit:
thank you all for your answers. Really helpful insight.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
Originally Posted by shady View Post
which patents??
lol
There's so many patents, you can't make anything without infringing on someone's patent. The big companies leave each other alone, mostly, because they have agreements like "you can have a button to answer the phone if I can have an antenna that works" but if a small company tries to produce anything, they can get screwed by all the big boys that own patents for basically everything to do with a phone.
Meanwhile people like me are afraid to write software for the same reason... Success = sued.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
honestly, I'd love to build über-smartphones above the 2000€ pricetag. But I don't have the money for that currently and I think it's very difficult because of all the patents...
I currently have the money for that (well, I mean I can manage to get it...somehow...lol), but the goddamn patents really ****ing piss me off so much!! Sigh... trying to calm down

Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
lol
There's so many patents, you can't make anything without infringing on someone's patent. The big companies leave each other alone, mostly, because they have agreements like "you can have a button to answer the phone if I can have an antenna that works" but if a small company tries to produce anything, they can get screwed by all the big boys that own patents for basically everything to do with a phone.
Meanwhile people like me are afraid to write software for the same reason... Success = sued.
Ok, not calming down lol. Its just plain ridiculous and another reason why we need to abolish the Monetary System we live in... So GSM and 3G are patented?! I wasn't even aware of that... So technically... we (almost) cannot make anything at all. I don't know anything about laws and politic, but if one were to create such a device, NOT FOR RESALE, but only for personal use, what that still be considered "copyright infringement" ?

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
I think they don't care as long as the device doesn't have a lot success.

edit: but I don't want to try it..

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2011-06-08 at 20:04.

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland