Posts: 152 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Sydney
http://www.scalableogo.org/english/about/overview.html

Has anyone seen or tried this?

Looking like a very promising service.
Looks like one needs to setup their own server, which is fine by me, but might limit the people that can use this.

Maybe someone with a good, reliable server can help the community. Maybe that person will be me ;-)

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
I know I'm reviving an old thread, but I believe it is relevant, I can confirm I have successfully (for the second time, long story) set up my own sogo/funambol server, and that it synchronises properly with syncevolution (ie with contacts, calendar and todo).

Based on that experience:
- Once set-up, it works very well, as it syncs with any phone, thunderbird, evolution, + web interface, anywhere (https)

- It is a bit overkill to run an exchange grade server just to sync between one's phone and one's pc, but hey the n900 is often about overkillness (for bad and good)

- it is horribly hard to set-up in my opinion. Should be a breeze for a sysadmin, but as a user it is a bit of a pain to: set an apache server with the right modules, add ssl to it, get a domain, get a CAcert certificate (which requires you to be able to receive mail sent to this domain), then set the databases, set sogo itself, install funambol, set funambol for sogo, set correct forwarding in apache for both sogo and funambol, then set the phone by playing with the config files of syncevolution.

- Needless to say, as this can be build with any web server, database server, etc.., you'll always find that the component used in the (outdated) documentation is never the one you are using

Anyway, if you are courageous it pays.
For the record I have used Ubuntu 10.10 for the server, with apache, mysql, sogo (nightly builds for 10.10) and funambol 9.0 in it.

The Following User Says Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Great work.

I went through "all" of the open source groupware servers out there, including sogo, and ended up at egroupware in the end.

SoGo was a pain to set up, but did work, what I couldn't do with it (that I can with egroupware) is to have two calendars under one authentication account.

This is because I use thunderbird / lightning which will only store one set of credentials per caldav server, and I needed two separate calendars.

But yes, syncevolution to get syncing between n900 and egroupware.

Contacts IM accounts don't get synced fully though. Do you get the entire record with sogo?

Kudos for having set up more than one!
I think multiple calendars work with the current version of sogo, but with issues. I'm not going to test though.

It seems that my IM contacts don't get sync either, probably because he phone consider they are two different address books.
Nonetheless, contacts info (and picture) that are gathered by Hermes seem to sync properly.
I think this has more to do with n900/syncevolution, so that you should get the same results on any groupware.

maybe a tool to copy IM contacts into phone address book would do (afaik, the "merge" function in the address book only provide a top layer possibility to merge contacts from different address books, without actually modifying any of them)

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Sydney
I didn't know anyone responded to this.

I have been using Memotoo with good success. But it does cost about $25/yr.

I thought Sogo was egroupware, just a name change?

I will spin up SoGo and see how it fairs. (I have a server with apache, ssl, certs, SMTP, IMAP and POP all set up and working)

What config info did you need for Sogo and syncevolution to play nicely together?

For SOGo configuration, there is nothing n900 specific, so I can't really help you there.

For the n900 part, I used syncevolution with the following settings:
/.config/syncevolution/default/peers/yourconfigname/sources

addressbook:
Code:
type = addressbook:text/vcard

# this is appended to the server's URL to identify the
# server's database
uri = sogo-card
calendar
Code:
type = calendar:text/calendar

# server's database
uri = sogo-cal
toto:
Code:
type = todo:text/calendar

# server's database
uri = sogo-todo
but todo are read only (I couldn't manage to have changes on the phone reflected on the server)

The Following User Says Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post: