As promised (how many months later) the post about Symbian "Wild Ducks." Simply put, Wild Ducks is a project to port the open source version of Symbian to the Beagleboard.

I don't know if many of the members here have an ARM board, or access to one, but the most interesting thing to me (being a hardware guy) is the fact there is an expansion board that compliments the Wild Ducks, having either a GSM or HSPA/ GPS module.

The sound interface is most interesting, it appears to use the expansion connector, allowing you to use the stereo in and out for a headset. The usual compliment of antennae round out the deal.

There is talk of an LCD panel, I haven't been able to discern who makes it or how much. An alternative could be Liquidwares Beagletouch product. A Beaglejuice would make a complete package (LCD, GSM/HSPA and battery, as well as the Beagleboard itself).

Anyway, its worth a look if you are obsessed with hardware like me. In one way, Wild Ducks could run on NIT devices. On the other hand, Maemo/ Meego could run on a Beagleboard with a wireless modem. The possibilities are endless.

http://www.symlab.org/wiki/index.php...ut_the_project should get you started.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to boris_blackmilk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
Forget the LCD.. Use a pocket Pico!

Find the source links and I will try get it to run on OMAP4!
I have been screwing with and compiling custom kernels for both Beagle and Pandaboard's..

Let's see what I can do with the Symbion sources... Maybe a horrible N900 port.. (oh! please no! .... Symbion over Maemo --- ***** no!)

Last edited by kingoddball; 2011-06-10 at 09:05.

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by kingoddball View Post
Let's see what I can do with the Symbion sources... Maybe a horrible N900 port.. (oh! please no! .... Symbion over Maemo --- ***** no!)
Somebody do it! Symbian runs on crappy ARM chips, why not use a hacked virtualizer to run ARM code with HLE to avoid raping host performance?
I mean, look at Symbian S60FP1, it runs great with 32MB RAM, and on the N95, CoreAVC can play any SD content you throw at it without conversion to the H264 Baseline Profile, and vBag runs GBA games at least twice as fast as Maemo 5 + VGBA.

Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
There is a symbion on Omap3:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=45330

I'm in the middle of compiling (or trying to stop the errors) a kernel that boots on Beagleboard, N900 and Pandabord.. All in one.. SuperJumbo for all!!

The Following User Says Thank You to kingoddball For This Useful Post: