Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
So much nonsense.
The problem with nokia is not what it is now, but what it will be in two years.
Symbian IS outdated.
Neither MeeGo nor maemo is enough for all nokia phones.
Leaves us with android, with its massive manufacturer competition and WP7, that is a young OS still unfinished but adapted to the next 5 years or so. None of them are part of the Qt ecosystem anyway.

Even if it su*ks for the FOSS and NIT world and for me, this is good decision industry wise. It gives a viable strategy for nokia for the next years (again, nokia's problems are not with is current situation, you cannot just compare symbian and WP7 as they are now).

And non related, but as stated many time, MeeGo is all about "common core for easy maintenance and support" + "easy (mandatory) UI customization by vendor" so it is more than likely that you won't see the benefit of it by trying the reference image.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
And btw since when was there a commercial Handset UI avaible!?

And btw., I am sure stuff from Harmattan will be stoled and implemented in WP8 thats how Microsoft always doing it!
Thats what im talking about, there is no, and will not be in near future because Meego is not ready.

NOKIA cant just wait few years for an OS, the must do something now! And yeah, they are keeping QT for maemo because WP is not the only option NOKIA want to have.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
@erendorn so what are you saying? I dont understand your point.

i am tired to repeat myself.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by N9Us View Post
Thats what im talking about, there is no, and will not be in near future because Meego is not ready.

NOKIA cant just wait few years for an OS, the must do something now! And yeah, they are keeping QT for maemo because WP is not the only option NOKIA want to have.
windows 7 is far from ready to battle google and apple.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
It was a generic answer to the last 4 pages or so. I had two separate points which were:
- Elop did the right things for Nokia and incidentely the wrong thing for the FOSS comunity.
- MeeGo is ready, just currently not used.

Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
It was a generic answer to the last 4 pages or so. I had two separate points which were:
- Elop did the right things for Nokia and incidentely the wrong thing for the FOSS comunity.
Yes he did a great and noble thing, he shot his own legs. Now everybody know symbian (consumers) is dead.

As a secondary effect, he caused a large exodus of people possessing the mobile-applications-know-how. The competitors are already delighted.

The Following User Says Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
windows 7 is far from ready to battle google and apple.
WP7 is already quite good. After the mango update, it will be even more so. The guys knocking WP7, have you actually used it??? Like, for more than 5 minutes? Some people just hate it for nothing it seems. Gawd. WP7 definitely isn't for me and for most of us here. But to the average consumers, it is and that's where the money is.

Meego has zero presence in the real world right now. WP7 has a much bigger presence and MSFT is smart/big/rich enough to compete with Google/Apple. Look what they did with xbox. Heck, even Google admits WP7 is their biggest thread over any other OS. So sit back and watch it unfold. That's all we can do I'm giving Elop the benefit of the doubt for now.

But yeah, I would prefer Harmattan over WP7 even though I haven't even properly seen/used one yet. But that's me. =p

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by N9Us View Post

you really dont get it do you! The meego.org will never have an fullfeatured handset UI for commercial use. its upto the companys to write it.

In this case Nokia had Harmattan UI and it IS ready.

and again I am sure we will se muich of this UI in wp8 also. so dont come say maemo harmattan/Meego is not ready. it is Microsoft will only steal the best stuff from it and make it look like its was theyr own. as they always do.

thats why elops talk about help wp to improve make me wanna puke. And yes I hate Microsoft and you ask me why? well learn history about that company and its way to work with other companys and you will maybe understand why!

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-06-12 at 21:24.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 305 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ 'Nam
Yeah I agree after the Mango update WP7 will be a much better platform from the current one. But will it be for me no but still think its going to be a much needed update and with Nokia hardware should be a pretty decent phone. But I'm still holding out for a MeeGo phone so I can jump ship from android.

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland