Almost 5000

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
WP7 is already quite good. After the mango update, it will be even more so. The guys knocking WP7, have you actually used it??? Like, for more than 5 minutes? Some people just hate it for nothing it seems. Gawd. WP7 definitely isn't for me and for most of us here. But to the average consumers, it is and that's where the money is.

Meego has zero presence in the real world right now. WP7 has a much bigger presence and MSFT is smart/big/rich enough to compete with Google/Apple. Look what they did with xbox. Heck, even Google admits WP7 is their biggest thread over any other OS. So sit back and watch it unfold. That's all we can do I'm giving Elop the benefit of the doubt for now.

But yeah, I would prefer Harmattan over WP7 even though I haven't even properly seen/used one yet. But that's me. =p
I am using one for about a month now. Seriously, it may look good, but it's half baked and has serious shortcomings. Symbian is way better even as it is. Think of it after a QT makeover.

For the sake of argument
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...1&postcount=16

Last edited by qwazix; 2011-06-12 at 23:03.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 155 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Dublin
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I am using one for about a month now. Seriously, it may look good, but it's half baked and has serious shortcomings. Symbian is way better even as it is. Think of it after a QT makeover.
The Mango update will be nice.. it's got some cool features... if you look at all their other services, they're all starting to have a similar UI.. the new xbox dashboard update will look similar to Windows 8... and windows 8 looks similar to what they showed with Mango..

At least with Microsoft you can see what they're trying to do..

MeeGo has taken far too long... i'm sure some poeple have worked really hard.. but.. and is often the case with Linux projects.. the guys who have the talent don't have the organizational skills to get work done quickly..

I remember when Ubunto came out first.. a friend of mine had it installed... he seemed to play with the effects more than actually doing work with it...

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Bremen, Germany
i don't know where this hate against symbian comes from. ok, symbian and touchscreens are a nightmare, but not every consumer wants that ****. my nokia e51 does a pretty well job. it has 2G,3G, WLAN. it does VoIP autologin there even was gizmo5 build in, you could chat with your buddies like with n900. email, sms, calendar, mp3 and multitasking. its all there for "low level" consumer. and i do not need to recharge it every day

i don't see it coming that you can scale the UI down to use a keypad with meego or WP7. IMHO leaving the keypad phone segment behind is not a good decision.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to max_power For This Useful Post:
It is exactly what Elop wants to do. Use symbian for "lowend" phones.
But for god sake you can't compete with iphone having symbian as OS. So "highend" systems need something different than symbian.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I never thought that I would have, in this forum, have to defend meego/symbian over WP. It's sad, maybe Flop was right after all...

Posts: 417 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ At your mom's house, with my feet up!
As much as I am frustrated with the delay for a Meego device( from any hardware manufacturer), it is really the only phone I am looking forward to this year. I have beaten my poor n900 to death, and it needs a replacement.

The Following User Says Thank You to optimistprime For This Useful Post:
Who wouldnt hate Microsoft after what they pulled? Sending a mole to the biggest phone manufacturer to keep it from supporting an open source project.

If its a closed platform, I am not even considering it. Dont give a damn about the UI and the "cool" services.

Last edited by south87; 2011-06-13 at 02:37.

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
As I said before, if you were the CEO of Nokia, you wouldn't think the same. Big companies have shareholders and many employees to feed. Open model doesn't make a lot of money compared to closed model. It's just the way it is. It's all about the money. Not about us geeks here. We are too hard to please. It's a lot easier to please the majority who are much simpler than us here unfortunately.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
I think Elop is right to use WP7 as main OS, since its not THAT bad and they save a lot of money to develop it, since its developed by Microsoft and not Nokia.

But I also think that he should invest more developing resources into MeeGo to build a decent alternative OS.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pillum For This Useful Post:

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland