Active Topics

This IS good news.

Although I would have wonder on how much of this was influenced by the Nokiasoft merger? It's not really like the Apple lawers to back down or settle to an agreement. They would sooner keep dragging companies through the mud as they have shown with nokia in the past.

MS on the other hand, is one of the very few companies that have been able to win battles with Apple as they have both the money and an army of devil spawn lawers on there side. Apple may have realised that they would never win over nokia now they have MS backing and have been looking for a way to reach a settlement since february?

Maybe the fact that MS bailed Apple out years ago when they were jumping off their burning apple cart could have something to do with it.

Banned | Posts: 778 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Jun 2010
soo.. whats the argument about again?

Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Wrong. Patents are about the specific implementation to achieve the purpose. If you somehow use that implementation no matter to what purpose, you are in a danger of infringing.
Have you ever read any patent application?

Well, let's just say that your definition of patent is close to the 19 century definition.

Today, patents are written in such way that they cover not only the particular implementation being protected, but it's scope is extended as much as possible.

Example patent:
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...S=PN/6,125,447

More info can be found here:
http://blog.headius.com/2010/08/my-t...-v-google.html
http://en.swpat.org/wiki/Oracle_v._G...282010,_USA%29

EDIT: Added link to one of the patents within Oracle vs Google, and an article about the issues

Last edited by momcilo; 2011-06-14 at 14:33.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
Have you ever read any patent application?

Well, let's just say that your definition of patent is close to the 19 century definition.

Today, patents are written in such way that they cover not only the particular implementation being protected, but it's scope is extended as much as possible.

Example patent:
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...S=PN/6,125,447

More info can be found here:
http://blog.headius.com/2010/08/my-t...-v-google.html

EDIT: Added link to one of the patents within Oracle vs Google, and an article about the issues
I know how patents are written. The point is you cannot legally in court protect something that is not well defined. You cannot prove that I am infringing your patent, if your patent is merely an idea with no implementation. If you invented a 3D touch screen, you can patent that invention using claims that descibe the implementation, you cannot patent the idea of a 3D touch screen with no implementation. The very essence of inventing something is to create something that solves the problem of making an idea *work in real life*. If somebody else created another 3D screen using a different implementation, there is nothing you can do about it because it is a different invention. But if someone used your implementation creating a 3D television, they are infringing your patent even though it is a different idea.

Another point is that even tough you have invented something completely by your own head, if it has been done before, you are infringing.

I know how patents are written. The point is you cannot legally in court protect something that is not well defined. You cannot prove that I am infringing your patent, if your patent is merely an idea with no implementation. If you invented a 3D touch screen, you can patent that invention using claims that descibe the implementation, you cannot patent the idea of a 3D touch screen with no implementation. The very essence of inventing something is to create something that solves the problem of making an idea *work in real life*. If somebody else created another 3D screen using a different implementation, there is nothing you can do about it because it is a different invention. But if someone used your implementation creating a 3D television, they are infringing your patent even though it is a different idea.

Another point is that even tough you have invented something completely by your own head, if it has been done before, you are infringing.
So in your opinion:
How does Caller ID infringes Nokia patent?

Where is the line between idea and implementation?

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
The point is you cannot legally in court protect something that is not well defined. .
You can, if the person you attack does not have a sufficient amount of cash to sustain the trial (even if he would win it in the end).

The Following User Says Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 144 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hamburg

The Following User Says Thank You to mbo For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
So in your opinion:
How does Caller ID infringes Nokia patent?

Where is the line between idea and implementation?
I haven't seen that specific Caller ID patent, there are lots of them. But patents are straight forward. An invention that makes an idea work in real life is something you can file a patent for if no one have made that invention before. If someone has done it before, you have to do it differently (make a new and different invention) to be able to file a patent.

A patent is like a recipe. People with adequate knowledge shall be able to re-create your invention by reading your patent. In broad terms a patent is a recipe on how to go from an idea to a working prototype.

Caller ID is an idea. Nokia obviously owns one (of many other owned by others) patents for how to make a working Caller ID in a cell phone. Apple has shamelessly and unlawfully used Nokias patent. Now they must pay

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Not sure why this was moved to Off Topic; General was appropriate. Moving back.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post: