Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Nokia WILL benefit no mater what in the long term as MS have a huge past record behind them and can sustain this for a very long time.
Wow. You actually believe what you wrote there?

You've seen the "huge past record" of so-called mobile partners which Microsoft has left dead or dying by the side of the road, right? Wake up. Nokia's no different. Whatever reason you had for liking Nokia in the first place is now history. They are now a commodity manufacturer of WP devices.

Last edited by shallimus; 2011-06-15 at 13:09.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by volt View Post
#meego-meeting: Community Office Meeting
(...)
Meeting summary
(...)
Community Office Roles and Proposed Nominations for TSG - presented by Dawn Foster (DawnFoster, 14:00:46)
(...)
Quim Gil has asked to step down from the community office. He's been my Community Office co-lead and CO marketing coordinator since I joined MeeGo, and I am sad to see him stepping out of this role. The good news is that he will continue to be involved in MeeGo. (DawnFoster, 14:01:21)

I consider this to be on-topic. A word, Tex?
It seems he will not be replaced by anyone inside or outside of Nokia. I would say that's not surprising given Nokia's retreat from MeeGo since 2/11. There are two more statements that are more telling IMHO:

1) from QGil, "I'll concentrate on the bridge between this upcoming Nokia product and the MeeGo community."

2) There will be no Fall 2011 MeeGo Conference. They are now planning for a conference in early 2012 and hope to have it annually after that. This was not openly discussed by the MeeGo community - it was just announced.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
wtf is it with ppl crying about "ecosystem" = "vendor lock in".....
Because that's what it is. The goal is to keep you inside and paying them money while making it as hard as possible to move to a competitor.

... and what you expect these entities to be charities ?
Did I say I wanted anything for free? No, not at all.

At the end of the day - SOMEONE has to pay to build this stuff - and unless YOU are paying it - you have no right to criticize corporate strategy when the chosen strategy is one that is inline with the corporation's goal.
I pay for it when I buy the device. I pay for it if I subscribe to the service. There should be options, diverse options, available in terms of devices and services. Proprietary, device and platform specific "ecosystems" are blatant attempts to curtail competition.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
I feel *cough* a bad infection *cough* coming on. It's a bad infection which elop should stay away frm!!

The Following User Says Thank You to 1337INT13H For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by 1337INT13H View Post
I feel *cough* a bad infection *cough* coming on. It's a bad infection which elop should stay away frm!!
Ballmer putting some wait on the mobile market fattening up a bit, he's too greedy & never content with a small piece of the pie! tut tut

Big entities. Big Fishes looking to swollow little fishes!

Last edited by 1337INT13H; 2011-06-15 at 20:16.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
As a paying customer, I am paying for it. It is not the duty of paying customers to concern ourselves with what is best for giant corporations. We don't like vendor lock-in because it is bad for consumers in the long run. Nobody is doubting the benefits for the vendor. It just might be that the interests of the vendor and those of the consumer are not perfectly aligned.
Right! If companies should be expected to do things in their own interest, then why should it be surprising when consumers/customers/public want things to go their way as well? Companies depend on the consumers more than consumers depend on companies. They need to recognize that they will lose out more in the end if they play too many of these lock-in "licensing" games and prevent people from owning the things they've rightfully bought.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Nice name. Is that supposed to translate as "Elite raw I/O"? I know interrupt 13 hexadecimal is the old BIOS call from assembler for HDD/FDD raw sector I/O.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Right! If companies should be expected to do things in their own interest, then why should it be surprising when consumers/customers/public want things to go their way as well? Companies depend on the consumers more than consumers depend on companies. They need to recognize that they will lose out more in the end if they play too many of these lock-in "licensing" games and prevent people from owning the things they've rightfully bought.
Too true. Unfortunately we are small fish, no matter how we school.

(also it's a noun, not a verb, the way you have it, although I like your definition)

The Following User Says Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
Nice name. Is that supposed to translate as "Elite raw I/O"? I know interrupt 13 hexadecimal is the old BIOS call from assembler for HDD/FDD raw sector I/O.
Originally Posted by shallimus View Post

Too true. Unfortunately we are small fish, no matter how we school.
indeed Thks Danramos

Sadly thats only too true!

Last edited by 1337INT13H; 2011-06-15 at 21:23.

indeed Thks Danramos
Excellent choice of moniker. Carry on, lad!

Tags
bada blows, buysomethinelse, erics the idiot, goodbye nokia, nok+ms rox more, nokia's dead, oh so dead, so dead