Active Topics

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by Koajwujwer123 View Post
What i know is mid level phone on 21 and also small teaser of MeeGo phone. Maybe no official announced. Available in September same time as with new Symbian update too.
Even if 123 had no pedigree, it's plausible because it involves yet another disappointment for anyone who wants more Linux-on-Nokia

Same os.. why you worry so much :P i dont think u buy Dali. I no think anyone can buy Dali
I was just relaxing in my "Happy Mood" to "Pink Floyd" only to awaken NEWS I did not want to hear. Where is our Choice?

Last edited by 1337INT13H; 2011-06-15 at 20:33.

What i know is mid level phone on 21 and also small teaser of MeeGo phone. Maybe no official announced. Available in September same time as with new Symbian update too.
Thnks K - So I just go first to Provinssirock. Then is coming midsummerparty in ch. Then july, vacation. After that is only August before "lankku"? Right?

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Barcelona
My bet would be that the OS is unveiled first running on the dev device, and maybe in the same week they unveil Qt Components tech preview or beta, plus an update to the Qt SDK to target Harmattan in addition to Maemo 5.

If they want to release the device in September, announcing the device on June is too early, but unveiling the OS would be OK (Apple announced iOS 5, but no iPhone 5 after all, and they are the ones that master the art of creating hype around your product).

And now some wishful thinking (not a forecast, just a pipe dream): On February, I thought that "MeeGo is for future disruptions" was stupid PR talk. Now I still see the word "disruption" used in Nokia Conversations, and so on. Maybe Elop is not that stupid after all. Maybe he still bets on MeeGo, but wanted to buy it some time adopting other OS in the meantime. Adopting Android would mean the death of WP, and the coronation of Android as king of the world, so it would be a too strong enemy for MeeGo. Right now is "a three horse race", so MeeGo has two powerful enemies instead of one almighty one.

I still think that WP is a bad idea. If I were Elop, I would say that the company is slowly replacing Symbian with Android and MeeGo. Why? Because the OS is no longer the ecosystem. The ecosystem is Qt, and with Qt developers almost don't have to worry about the OS choice, and users will have up to date applications. But well, I'm a Qt fanboy, so it's only logical that I think this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to suy For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
I doubt that WP7 phone will be announced in Singapore. They want the american market and I think that WP7 will be announced in US. Meego or whatever phone will likely target Asia, hence Singapore

Theres no place like 127.0.0.1

The Following User Says Thank You to 1337INT13H For This Useful Post:
Posts: 364 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Australia
Signature on Sallimus's posts says it all:

"If I wanted an iPhone, BB, Android or WP7 phone, I would have bought one already."

At least for me it is true.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vivmak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by suy View Post
My bet would be that the OS is unveiled first running on the dev device, and maybe in the same week they unveil Qt Components tech preview or beta, plus an update to the Qt SDK to target Harmattan in addition to Maemo 5.

If they want to release the device in September, announcing the device on June is too early, but unveiling the OS would be OK (Apple announced iOS 5, but no iPhone 5 after all, and they are the ones that master the art of creating hype around your product).

And now some wishful thinking (not a forecast, just a pipe dream): On February, I thought that "MeeGo is for future disruptions" was stupid PR talk. Now I still see the word "disruption" used in Nokia Conversations, and so on. Maybe Elop is not that stupid after all. Maybe he still bets on MeeGo, but wanted to buy it some time adopting other OS in the meantime. Adopting Android would mean the death of WP, and the coronation of Android as king of the world, so it would be a too strong enemy for MeeGo. Right now is "a three horse race", so MeeGo has two powerful enemies instead of one almighty one.

I still think that WP is a bad idea. If I were Elop, I would say that the company is slowly replacing Symbian with Android and MeeGo. Why? Because the OS is no longer the ecosystem. The ecosystem is Qt, and with Qt developers almost don't have to worry about the OS choice, and users will have up to date applications. But well, I'm a Qt fanboy, so it's only logical that I think this.
Yes, unfortunately it doesn't work that way. The ecosystem is still the OS. Nobody so far has proven that you can successfully abstract it away, and there is nothing about Qt which indicates that this will change. Qt makes porting easier, but that's all.

Android would have been a horrible choice, because it lacks the style and exclusivity needed by Nokia if they want to have any chance of returning to former glory.

If they can kickstart WP7, and at the same time shake up the market with an innovative device that is somewhat ahead of its time, then Nokia is going to be back on the map.

It's a bold plan that can very easily fail, but Elop certainly is more likely to pull this off than his predecessors. I'll remain hopeful that jumping of the platform may lead to new grounds in the end, until the sharks have had their meal.

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Dublin
i have played around with HTC desires.. and although they seem fast and snappy at first.. they freeze a hell of a lot.. the internet browser is a piece of........ poo..

There's nothing about an iPhone 3,4 or 5 that i want or need (and have grown to despise Apple anyways)..

So what choice does that leave... it's either Maemo/MeeGo or.. Windows Phone for me..

Here's a serious question.. what will MeeGo do that WP7 won't?

The Following User Says Thank You to Faustino For This Useful Post:
Posts: 364 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by Faustino View Post
Here's a serious question.. what will MeeGo do that WP7 won't?
The famous blue screen, less bloated, open source and therefore a community support (look at the Ubuntu software centre, you name it and you have it for free) ....
I must admit that WP7 could (not necessary) bring in better UI and graphics compared to Maemo / Meego

Personally I don't want to use windows on my handset, need a bit of freedom or choices for lack of correct words from of M$ it already controls desktop to text editor to spreadsheet to presentation to project management to email to ....... thankfully I have switched away from outdated IE to FF or Opera...

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland